Potential plagiarism of this site?

execrablepiety

Joined Dec 28, 2017
Hi there. This is the first time I've actually posted on here. I just want to start off by saying how much I love this site. The textbook section has probably taught me more than any other resource I've come across on electronics engineering. This is why I was upset when I found another site which seems to have literally copied your entire textbook section verbatim. I'm unsure if maybe you have an affiliation with them. I would hate to think somebody has plagiarized such an amazing resource. And give the abundance of ads on the site, they seem to be profiting off of it.

(commercial line deleted by moderator DC)

I apologize if this was the wrong place to post this. Being new here, I was unsure where this should go. So I chose the most appropriate seeming forum. I tried to find some sort of contact email but I wasn't able to, so this seemed the next best thing.

Thanks for keeping suxh a great site running though. I really appreciate the time amd effort spent to make this amazing resource available to us.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'
Oscar Wilde.
Don't know if I'd characterize it as imitation. The contributors list in Vol 1 at least appears to have been scrubbed of any mention of AAC member's edits including the original author, Tony R. Kuphaldt.

@execrablepiety
Thanks for the head's up and welcome to AAC!

Last edited:

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I recall we had someone about 3-4 years ago who was copying AAC content, articles from the main page I think, and re-publishing them with his own name in place of the actual author's name. I wonder if it's the same idiot...

execrablepiety

Joined Dec 28, 2017
Thanks. I'm glad to help make people aware of these sorts of things when possible.

Heh the Oscar Wilde quote had actually come to mind for me as well.

I came across something similar a few months ago when I found a verbatim copy of a really well written 8051 tutorial on another site. But I was unable to contact the original author about that. It's good to be able to let you guys know about this, at least.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
It's not just this site. If you Google images of some simple wiring circuit, like for electric motors, there is a site in Germany I think, uses a .DE after the address, that makes you join their site, give them your Email, to see the content.
And it is content they didn't draw or make, they just hijacked it.

execrablepiety

Joined Dec 28, 2017
I've seen this a lot, Shortbus. If I want to look up a diagram real quick, I'll just search Google images and so often I'll find the same diagram on multiple sites. Sometimes with minor changes, like component values being changed or just removed outright. This is why I need to find good textbooks on EE which are either cheap or free. It's hard to find good or original resources online sometimes.