Please provide some help-Driving LEDs to form patterns

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I think the best advice at this point is for you to make a smaller prototype. Perhaps 6"x6". Some none commercial none production parts already been suggested:
-Arduino Uno (5 volt system, might not have enough pins, may need multiplexer), a cheap clone is about 9 dollars.
I agree a smaller prototype is a good idea. Even the 4x4 video may be sufficient.

As I recall, the Arduino Uno has 14 I/O pins available. This would be sufficient for a 4x4, 5x5, or a 6x6 array, with a couple of pins left over for other inputs.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Here is an example of a random pulse generator which could be used with a 4X4 or with expansion up to 17X17 matrix.
A single gen. could be used for both X & Y or better two gens.
Note the use of a tea candle to add a little noise to 555 pin 5 to keep gen random.Random Pulse GEN. 00000.jpg

Last edited:

korchoi

Joined Jun 5, 2015
Here is an example of a random pulse generator which could be used with a 4X4 or with expansion up to 17X17 matrix.
A single gen. could be used for both X & Y or better two gens.
Note the use of e tea candle to add a little noise to 555 pin 5 to keep gen random.View attachment 87063
555 timer and 4022? random pulse generation? candle introduces noise? this is getting out of hand for me.
I hope that by "candle" you don't mean "wax tube with flaming rope on top"
This reminds me of that 'battery logic' thread.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
…This is getting out of hand for me…This reminds me of that 'battery logic' thread.
This is what frequently happens when an admittedly non-technical person asks for a design solution that just happens to require a non-trivial degree of technicality. It's no one's fault, just the way it is.

The typical options for you at this juncture are: change your requirements to allow for an off-the-shelf solution, get some paid technical help, learn enough to work with the information offered by forum helpers or give up.

Last edited:

rocksolid

Joined Jun 6, 2015
I think I have an idea. I saw these items on ebay and Amazon and I think they can work. They are night rider strips. If I can link a few together and if they are flat and flexable I can get them to do what I want for the most part and it won't cost an arm and leg. Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Knight-Ri...=1434150156&sr=8-3&keywords=night+rider+light

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131008597051?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I am waiting to see if I can link a few up together and what kind of power source to use.

korchoi

Joined Jun 5, 2015
I think I have an idea. I saw these items on ebay and Amazon and I think they can work. They are night rider strips. If I can link a few together and if they are flat and flexable I can get them to do what I want for the most part and it won't cost an arm and leg. Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Knight-Ri...=1434150156&sr=8-3&keywords=night+rider+light

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131008597051?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I am waiting to see if I can link a few up together and what kind of power source to use.
According to the first one's product description, it has predefined patterns.Not adjustable.If one of the patterns matches you want, then good.
The second one, i don't know.
Your lack of experience on the subject and limited budget make this project quite unviable.
The money thrown at the problem and the skills of its designer are inversely proportional for the same quality of the solution.

So, you can do it the easy way(ready-made modules) and burn down some green presidents, or...
you can read a bit about the things you are messing with: LED's, Digital circuits, microcontrollers, ohm's law.
After some good old research on the internet, you should come up with more clever ideas.
That is the charm of electronics. You look after one solution and many other means of achieving that appear in your mind.Infinite possibilities.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Still no answer to post # 25. How bright should LED's be?
3" spacing = 121 or 144 LED's, 2" spacing =324 LED's.
LOL, ie lots of luck. A littlo off on cotton, 1/4 in about right.

rocksolid

Joined Jun 6, 2015
Sorry about the spacing question. I guess the lights can be 2 inches apart from each other. As I said this projust is open to change so it can be 3 inches apart. As long as I have the general idea made that would be fine. I don't understand the cotton question. I don't need to LED to be too right, as long as they shine through a thin piece of nylon which I would think most will do. When I was looking at the night rider strips the pattern would go in one direct like a chase sequence and then back the other way which would be ok for my needs. I was thinking of putting the strip in a number 8 pattern which would make a race track going around a figure 8 and then back. Problem is these strips are 22 inches long at best. Can I maybe hook up 6 strips to one power source or find one really long strip that I can flex into a figure 8.

korchoi

Joined Jun 5, 2015
Sorry about the spacing question. I guess the lights can be 2 inches apart from each other. As I said this projust is open to change so it can be 3 inches apart. As long as I have the general idea made that would be fine. I don't understand the cotton question. I don't need to LED to be too right, as long as they shine through a thin piece of nylon which I would think most will do. When I was looking at the night rider strips the pattern would go in one direct like a chase sequence and then back the other way which would be ok for my needs. I was thinking of putting the strip in a number 8 pattern which would make a race track going around a figure 8 and then back. Problem is these strips are 22 inches long at best. Can I maybe hook up 6 strips to one power source or find one really long strip that I can flex into a figure 8.
you can wire the strips in parallel.Just solder the end of a wire in each supply rail(one for positive, another to ground) and the other end into the correspondent pads in the led strips.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I see no provision to sync. Knight Rider strips. Each strip needs its own controller. Time to re think plan, maybe re read # 20.
3 in spacing is dooable & a proof of concept project can be done for close to $ 100. with all discrete ICs or part ICs & uP.
Copper strips for XY buss available from stained glass shop. Strips on top of mounting board ( 1/8 in tempered masonite ??)
with SMT LEDs or on back with thru hole LEDs ( red piranah CP41B-RFS, 70 deg.,2.5V,up to 70 mA, $ 5 for 60 ), nice & bright @ 40 mA, one of which is glowing along with 8 random blinking LEDs. Disadvantage is drilling 4 holes for each. Not viewed Optek SMT, OVSABC2R8, maybe eroneous no. 900mC,@ 50 mA,#.2V, SN # G18359, Electronic Goldmine $ 4. for 4. Or: Cree, SMT, AMBER,CLM1B-AKW50 mA, 2.5V, $ 2 for 50, on sale, normally $4 for 50. % G20710, E Gm.
Nylon on hard board seems a little harsh; 1/8 in poly foam softens it a bit & slightly difuses light.

rocksolid

Joined Jun 6, 2015