Please i need help to transform a speaker that i took off from my car into home use

Hanades12

Joined Sep 2, 2019
Hi to every one on this forum , Am a student and am trying to develop my electronic skills , i have this bass speaker that i took of from my car , and am wonder if anyone on this forum can explain how i can transform it for home us , i want to use it in my room rather than my car , i have upload some pictures of the bass speak , thanks for reading

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What you have is a lot more than just a speaker, it is a complete speaker and amplifier package. That is quite different from just a speaker.
So now the first question is what you want to use it for, because that will affect what would need to be added to make it useful in a room. The one item that will be needed is a 12 volt Direct current power source with an adequate power capability to power the amplifier. We also will need to know what you want to use for the source of sound signal to feed it. Without this information you will only get guesses.

Hanades12

Joined Sep 2, 2019
Hi narkeleptk , thanks for your reply , it's just the bass , that i intend to conect with other small speakers in my room , but i don;t know how to go about it at this stage , but i already have a 12 volt step down transfer , am hoping someone could help me .

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You need a power supply that provides 12VDC @ 10A.

If you want to play music that is already being played by your sound system, you need to get access to the music source that enters the sound system, not the output of the existing speaker system. In other words, you need to find the jack that plugs into your sound system.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
From the pictures, there are a lot of different ways you can power the speakers. You can use MP3 or you can use other high impedance inputs. Likely that's a little over your knowledge base. There are two RCA jacks marked L & R. Those appear to be inputs as well. If your home stereo unit has a "Tape Out" or other source where you can connect other equipment to your stereo then using the speakers you have will be fairly easy. But like everyone else is saying, you need a far more substantial power supply than a simple tiny wall wart. Your power supply can be likened to a lawnmower engine put in a domestic automobile. And I'm sure you realize the lawnmower engine is not going to make the car go anywhere.

There is a power input where it says Ground (GND), Remote (REM) and +12V. The 12 volts DC must be hooked (negative) to GND and (positive) to +12V. However, that won't turn it on. You can either place a switch between REM & +12V or you can put a jumper. However, a jumper will mean the amp inside the speaker is always on. Again, assuming you have a power supply of sufficient amperage.

The blue fuse indicates a 15 amp fuse. So the amp may draw that much power. It's likely it draws around 10 amps but we can only guess at that. But some music may have sudden heavy bass signals that can momentarily draw higher current. If your supply isn't up to the challenge then the music will sound horrible. I've been powering car radios and amplifiers from car batteries for many years. In my garage is an older car battery that is kept charged at 13.6 volts. The radio hooked to the battery can draw up to 15 amps. I don't have a PS that can push that kind of amperage, so the charger maintains the battery voltage and I can play music as long as the battery power remains high enough. The supply isn't capable of charging the battery and playing the radio at the same time so I can easily get a good few hours of playtime. But when I shut the radio off the battery is recharged. That's also important. Keeping a battery properly charged. Failure to keep a battery charged will result in a short lifespan of the battery. Won't go into all the details unless you need to know more about powering the amp from a battery. However, if you DO power it from a car battery then you absolutely need a switch to turn the amp on and off. Forget to turn it off and you'll drain the battery, possibly ruining it.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Thanks so much for the heads up , i just got this from the store , please tell me if this one will work , if not , that means i will have to move into town to get another , because the store near me only have this one i have attach
That supply is 19.5V and would likely damage your amp. For the third time, you need a supply rated at exactly 12V and at least 10A.

Bob

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Thanks so much for the heads up , i just got this from the store , please tell me if this one will work , if not , that means i will have to move into town to get another , because the store near me only have this one i have attach
That Dell laptop supply puts out 19.5VDC @ 4.6A.
Too high on voltage and too low on current.
We don't know what will happen if you connect this to power your bass speaker. At best it might work. At worst it will kill your speaker.

You do not want to exceed 14.5VDC.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Are you now asking how to use this speaker/amplifier to drive other speakers connected to this amp? If so - I don't think you can. Not certain, but it doesn't look like it's designed to drive other speakers as well. It is probably only designed to power the speakers inside the unit. Unless you want to start modifying the amp - I'd say it can't be done.

[edit] As for that PS being able to power the amp on - you're still not going to be happy with the sound quality when played at high volumes.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
We can see where the input goes to the bass speaker/amplifier.

Show us the connections on your tower sound system.
What is the make and model?