Please help me find SMD equivalents to BC548

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I've checked the SMD equivalents from that article, all of them have way smaller power and frequency. Is it ok to use them anyway?
Yes - if you don't need the extra power dissipation. The ft value will probably vary with the mid-band hfe, which can vary from 110 to 800 over the different grades, so the difference between the two datasheets is irrelevant.
Power dissipation of SM devices will vary according to how much track it is soldered to.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
A higher voltage shouldn't be a problem, right? I mean, isn't a higher voltage just an indicative that the component can support a higher voltage, instead of always working at a higher voltage?
It just indicates that it will withstand a higher voltage.
Fairchild datasheets used to tell you the "process" that the transistors came from. BC546, BC547, BC548 and BC549 all came from the same process. Maybe they came from the same dice, and are just selected for voltage, or maybe they use higher resistivity silicon for the higher voltage devices. (Someone on this forum will know).
If it is higher resistivity silicon, then it means that the saturation voltage is likely to be slightly higher.

spikespiegelbebop

Joined Nov 30, 2021
I don't know, the original BC548 has a frequency of 300mhz, that one has a frequency of 100mhz, 3 times lower.

It just indicates that it will withstand a higher voltage.
Fairchild datasheets used to tell you the "process" that the transistors came from. BC546, BC547, BC548 and BC549 all came from the same process. Maybe they came from the same dice, and are just selected for voltage, or maybe they use higher resistivity silicon for the higher voltage devices. (Someone on this forum will know).
If it is higher resistivity silicon, then it means that the saturation voltage is likely to be slightly higher.
:emojithinking:

spikespiegelbebop

Joined Nov 30, 2021
Hey, just remembered something. In that article is saying:

"Equivalents: if no BC548 then use BC549, PN100, 2N3904 or 2SC1815 (i.e. pretty much any general purpose NPN transistor with a beta > 100)."

So it means that I should only consider that value? But what is this beta value anyway? Because I can't find anything like that in datasheets.