Please help me diagnose my treadmill problem

schroedm

Joined Feb 19, 2021
Good afternoon all

I’m new here and hoping you can help me out!! My son was fiddling with our treadmill and switched it off from the mains whilst it was running. After that, when he switched it back on nothing would work, no motor and the LCD panel was dead.
As we didn’t have a suitable fuse, my eldest son decided he could fix things my using a paper clip to bypass the fuse to get things working again!!(yes, I know and I’ve since explained!!)
Anyway, when he did that and switched things back on the motor accelerated crazily and it tripped the house fuses!
I took a look at the PCB and saw that the fuse was truly blown. I removed it and ordered a replacement and soldered that in today.
On powering up the motor sounded like it was going to go crazy but the fuse blew immediately.
I did a bit of reading and it sounds like whatever is controlling the motor is the issue.
So, I replaced the fuse again but, this time disconnected the motor leads from the PCB. This time on powering up all was well, the LCD display panel worked fine but obviously I couldn’t use things as there was no motor control.
From a bit of research, I THINK the 2 components (MOSFETs??) attached to the heatsink have probably blown??
Do you think I’m right? Would replacing them fix things do you think?
Is there anything I can do to check them? I have a multimeter although I don’t really know how to use it or test them!
I have attached a picture of the control board.
Looking forward to your help and advice!
Thanks
Mark

Mod: lightened your image,MOS now visible.E

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am not familiar with that model, but it sounds like a Mosfet or any one of the components fitted to the heat sink, you can sometimes check them with a meter for short circuit.
But the best way is to remove either circuit test them or replace, if not certain.
Max.

schroedm

Joined Feb 19, 2021
Thank you Max. Sorry, I know very little about electronics! Are the components screwed to the heatsink MOSFETs?
do you think if I’m able to unsolder them and order replacements I’m likely to have solved the issues? I know you can’t say 100% but is it likely that them ‘blowing’ is what causes the motor to immediately accelerate uncontrollably until the fuse blows?

regards
Mark

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If the Mosfet is shorted the initial load of full acceleration will usually blow a fuse.
The components attached to the H.S. are the ones, identify the Mosfet by part No.
When replacing, ensure you have any H.S. insulators in place, usually stuck onto the H.S.

schroedm

Joined Feb 19, 2021
Hi Max,
Thank you. Ok, so I managed to get the 3 components attached to the heatsinks off the board. They appear to have part numbers...

JCS24N50WH
15F60C
GBJ2510 then some sort of back to front RU

I’m in the UK and tried RS Components thinking I’d find them but I had no luck. Are you able to shed any light as to where I might find these parts?? Are these the right part numbers?? I’ve tried to attach pics to help show them?

Any further help greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Mark

Attachments

schroedm

Joined Feb 19, 2021
Hi

So I’m not having much luck sourcing these components in the UK. Is anyone able to help point me to a supplier where I might get them?

Rgds
Mark

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Max, I would have thought that the Vdss rating (250 V) is rather low for a product with a 240 volts supply in the UK. The datasheet I found for the JCS24N50WH (https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/1002020/JSMC/JCS24N50WH-O-W-N-B.html ) shows it has a Vdss rating of 500 volts (I am making assumptions as I have not seen the schematic for the treadmill.)
Farnell or RS components are two other possible sources of spares in the UK.
Farnell have a number of 600 volt 25 amp mosfets. (For example STP33N60M6 )

Les.

Last edited:

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Hi Mark, I would personally go for one of the 600 volt 25 amp mosfets as the IRF360 Vdcc rating is 400 volts. This is a bit close to the 350 or so volts peak of 250 volts RMS. I suggest waiting for Max's comments as he has had more experience in industrial electronics than me.

Les.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The IRFP360 is 400v which should be OK for UK, The current rating also should be OK as you most likely have a 13a plug feeding the T.M.?
I am more faimiliar with the more common MC2100 series of board.
Max.

Last edited: