please help! how does the circuit work

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What's the context of the question? Otherwise, "It works by applying 9 V between the top and bottom nodes," would be a valid response.

Is this a homework problem?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
not a homework problem ,seen this somewhere and wanted to understand it
So I would recommend taking a look at the link that crutschow posted, if you haven't already, and see if that satisfies you. If not, then by all means come back and try to post a question or three that get at what part of the operation is vexing you. That should provide much better targeted help to address your confusion.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Assuming Q-left comes on first the collector moves toward +9 , discharging C-left, holding Q-right off. Eventually the capacitor drains and the resistor R-right pulls the base of Q-right to ground, turning it on. This discharges C-right, turning Q-left off. Eventually C-left discharges and resistor R-left turns Q-left back on which turns Q-right off ... all the magic is in the timing of the capacitors and the base resistors.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
To me, this circuit is a perfect candidate for simulation in LTspice that the OP could use as a playground, so that he could see for himself what would happen if he were to change or tweak the values of the components, and learn something along the process.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
To me, this circuit is a perfect candidate for simulation in LTspice that the OP could use as a playground, so that he could see for himself what would happen if he were to change or tweak the values of the components, and learn something along the process.
Emulate? Only ten parts. Build it.