Please help dead battery charger

nicktruman

Joined Feb 4, 2019
Hi everyone, I need some help please.. I bought a Milwaukee 18v Battery Charger for a drill and screwdriver I have and it seems to be dead.
I have 12v across pin 1 (black) and 3 (red) and 4 (green) and 3 9red) when a battery is connected. When there is nothing connected I have a small voltage (4v) across pins 2 (yellow) and 3 (red).
The leds are not lit, I cannot see any obvious damage, all tracks on the circuit board look great.
My batteries and totally dead and i need to get some volts in them!IMG_3361.JPEGIMG_3361.JPEGIMG_3360.JPEGIMG_3359.JPEGIMG_3362.JPEGIMG_3363.JPEGIMG_3357.JPEG

Attachments

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Sadly I doubt there's much that can be done quickly other than buy another. I guess this was bought 'used' online, so now you have all the hassle of raising a dispute...

Check the continuity of the fuse in the white tube near the brown live wire (unplug from mains) with a multimeter on 'continuity' setting, if you have one. Probably not that simple though; if the fuse has blown chances are a replacement will blow too..

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Irving,
Did not see those alerts, do you use Ad Block Pro.?

Also just checked my 'garbage' bin, nothing there except a site ex-cookie.

Eric

zophas

Joined Jul 16, 2021
@nicktruman Some battery chargers won't start if you put a totally dead battery across them. I thought mine was broken when I tried to charge a "dead" battery. But it works fine if I connect it to a partially charged battery.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
@nicktruman Some battery chargers won't start if you put a totally dead battery across them. I thought mine was broken when I tried to charge a "dead" battery. But it works fine if I connect it to a partially charged battery.
Its a good point - 12v for an 18v LiPo is 2.4v/cell which is pretty much 100% empty... but the fact he gets no LEDs suggests the issue is more critical than that...

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
hi Irving,
Did not see those alerts, do you use Ad Block Pro.?

Also just checked my 'garbage' bin, nothing there except a site ex-cookie.

Eric
Hi E,
I'm using latest Firefox with ad-blocking built in, but my AV wasn't happy with 3 suspicious download attempts, also reported certificate issues.

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
If the battery is dead, then the charger will not even see it and probably just not turn on . Try it with a know good battery that has some charge left in it.