Plastic-eating caterpillar could munch waste, scientists say

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Yes very interesting. I just hope this does not end up turning into the story of the Mouse, the Cat, the Dog, and the Lion. The story goes something like where the King had a problem with mice so he got cats to eat the mice, then ended up with a lot of cats so we got a bunch of dogs to eat the cats, then ended up with a bunch of dogs, then got a bunch of lions to eat the dogs and the lions ate the dogs and the King and the entire population.

What worries me is when these things get on the loose. They start eating our computers, TV's, etc., anything made of plastic, and we have a lot of stuff made of plastic these days.

Hopefully they know how to contain them, but then again that never seems to work. An example is the killer honey bee spread from South America.

If it works out though that would be good i guess, if the plastic cant be recycled for some reason.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I've only read one report... and it mentioned that lab tests were done by grinding those caterpillars and corroborating that it was an enzyme in their metabolism that was responsible for said phenomena... That is, it had nothing to do with their actually digesting plastic, but rather with the way their bodies functioned... what remains is to identify the chemical responsible for said reaction, and then see if it can be reproduced and implemented in an economy-wise way.