Placing two different capacity batteries in series.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Dear Guys;

Can i place a 12V 150Ah in series with a 12V 200Ah in series?

Thank you.
Since this is Homework Help and not Homework Done For You, why don't you take your best shot at reasoning out an answer and we'll tell you where you are going right and where you are going wrong.

Try to come up with reasons why you should be able to and reasons why you might not. Try to reason out what the behavior of two such batteries in series would be.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Can you? Sure you can. Are there reasons you should not? Yes there are. Are the reasons you should? Yes there are.

Make a list, check it twice, list the reasons for it to be naughty or nice.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes it will be 24V at 150mAH, it will have the capacity of the smaller battery.
Unfortunately, some people DO think this is Homework Done For You.

Are you going to do all of his homework for him?

Are you going to take his exams for him?

Are you going to go to work with him and do that for him throughout his career?

If not, then you aren't helping him by just giving him the answers to his homework.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Since this is Homework Help and not Homework Done For You, why don't you take your best shot at reasoning out an answer and we'll tell you where you are going right and where you are going wrong.

Try to come up with reasons why you should be able to and reasons why you might not. Try to reason out what the behavior of two such batteries in series would be.

Why don't you try and help by explaining and help furthering his knowledge? helping him to understand how to reason it out for himself is better than leaving him with no idea how to proceed. Not giving the answer, but how to get the answer. Just having an attitude of "we're not doing your homework for you" is very negative, unhelpful, and quite frankly the wrong attitude to adopt if you want to encourage people to join this site.

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
Dear Guys;

Can i place a 12V 150Ah in series with a 12V 200Ah in series?

Thank you.

One reason it is not advisable to put unequal capacity batteries in series is, think about what happens when the lower capacity battery is fully discharged and, the other still has charge and you still have a load connected, also re-charging then presents problems which could overcharge one, under charge the other, and lead to premature failure of the batteries. Do try and think this through, there are several other reasons why its bad practice to mix battery types, i.e lead acid, alkaline, nickle cadmium, nickle metal hydride etc etc. Your initial question suggest you are probably meaning lead acid, but you need to be specific when posting a question like this.
I'm sure you havn't just come on here just to get you home work done for you, but are seeking help in furthering your knowledge.