Placement for antenna and Crystal on PCB

Fakul

Joined Jan 24, 2022
Hello all,

I am working on homemade earphones and by small resolution of the board is pretty complicated to design the board to fit all components. Let's say, I have MCU on bottom side of the board and antenna and crystal on the top side. Is it bad for correct impedance? Will it even work?

Thanks a lot!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hello all,

I am working on homemade earphones and by small resolution of the board is pretty complicated to design the board to fit all components. Let's say, I have MCU on bottom side of the board and antenna and crystal on the top side. Is it bad for correct impedance? Will it even work?

Thanks a lot!
We cannot tell. We don't have enough information about your circuit, operating frequency, PCB layout, etc.

Fakul

Joined Jan 24, 2022
I am using Bluetooth antenna for 2,48 MHz, the crystal is operating on 38,4 MHz. I have 4 layer board. If you wanna look at gerber files, I added a zip files with them. Any more questions? Thanks a lot for your time and help!

Attachments

Bulldoggie63

Joined Jun 24, 2021
Hello all,

Thanks a lot!
Fakul, without looking at the files, I have to make a few assumptions. First, you are trying to build a set of headphones, not a pair of ear buds. That makes it a lot easier. Second, I have to assume that you are going to use something like a pair of over the ear "speakers" with an over the head connecting strap.
And wireless.
Just from an assembly standpoint, remember that you have two enclosures to utilize. You can place the battery in one side, and the electronics in the other. Maybe even split the electronics between the two sides.
You can just run a few wires along the head band. You are going to anyway.
The basic rules of thumb, or any opposable digit that you may have, says to, if possible, to move the antenna as far away from something like an oscillator as is practical. This has nothing to do with impedances. Just cross talk and noise.
If you are really worried, try placing the antenna on one side, and the rest of the electronics in the other.
Just some basic assembly/design guidelines.
But if you are only concerned about the impedances, don't be. As far as the antenna and crystal placement goes, at least.