pickit3 adding more voltage for regulated MPLAB high voltage programming

talkcircuit

Joined Dec 16, 2015
pickit3 adding more voltage for regulated MPLAB high voltage programming

hi again people,

I was wondering if anyone had some ideas on how to increase the input voltage for the PICKIT3 programmer

It seems the max i can get the programmer up to is 4.85v at the moment. I know this is because the input voltage from my pc is only about 5v and there is a little loss at the regulator.

so my idea was to try to solder on a 6v dc port into the rs232 power or maybe behind one of the regulators on the pickit3

does anyone have any thoughts on how to do it right? before i kill my pickit3 trying

I just want to be able to use the higher voltages in the MPLAB IPE software but the input voltage too low to take advantage of the higher voltages in the MPLAB IPE software.

Maybe the hardware pickit3 is not designed to allow the software to use voltages above 5v.

Any ideas?

Mod Note: This is technically a different question than your other thread here so I'll leave it for awhile as others may find it useful. If its related to your other problem continue on that thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There is no way for the PK3 to control the higher voltage so I wouldn't wast my time. If you want to do higher voltage programming for some reason, save your nickels and get the programmer that you require.

talkcircuit

Joined Dec 16, 2015
Right another forums poster said to try the 5v+ ranges on this MPLAB IPE programmer and it wont go above 4.85v

I was just thinking if I changed one of the regulators or added a substitute higher voltage I could use those 5v-6v ranges to try to read some of these pic F chips that wont identify. t hanks then

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
You do not need such a higher voltage to reagan ANY PIC device.

If you did the PICkit would be able to supply it.

I suspect your other devices are dead.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Right another forums poster said to try the 5v+ ranges on this MPLAB IPE programmer and it wont go above 4.85v

I was just thinking if I changed one of the regulators or added a substitute higher voltage I could use those 5v-6v ranges to try to read some of these pic F chips that wont identify. t hanks then
I think this might be an internet pipe dream.