MPLAB X 6.15, 6.20 & PICKIT3

agsuresh

Joined Dec 28, 2023
Windows 7 64 bit.
I am very new to microcontroller programming
I had installed MPLAB X IDE 6.15. It could not detect PICKIT 3. So , assuming 6.20 might do, I installed it. It also could not detect the tool.

So I ran "USB tool connection Diagnostics"

=============================================================================
Initializing examination: Done
Plug-in version: 1.0.8
==============================================================================
OS version: Windows 7 (6.1)
OS architecture: 64-bit
MPLAB X IDE version: 6.20
MPLAB X communications library version: 3.53.00
Bridge library version: 3.47
Bridge library extended version: Not available.
JVM: 1.8.0_345 64-bit
Examine Support Library (or Libraries):
C:\Windows\system32\winusb.dll: Found
Permissions: E R W
Size: 20480 bytes
Loadable: Yes
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\winusb.sys: Found
Size: 41984 bytes
C:\Windows\system32\libusb0.dll: Found
Size: 76384 bytes
Loadable: Yes
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\libusb0.sys: Found
Size: 52832 bytes
Examine Bridge Library:
C:\Windows\system32\USBAccessLink_3_47.dll: ERROR: File not found.
Examine PnP Support Application:
C:\Windows\system32\mchpwinusbdevice64.exe: Found
Size: 798928 bytes
Examine Port Definition File:
C:\Windows\system32\mchpdefport: Found
Size: 46 bytes
Port Definition File Info:
Host: localhost
Port: 30000
Accessing Attached Tools:
Selection: MPLABComm-USB(04D8:03EB),ThirdParty(),MPLABComm-Ethernet()
Retrieving tool list:
Tool list is empty (no recognized tools found).
Releasing examination: Done
_----------------------------------------------------------------
I can find this DLL anywhere in my computer or online
C:\Windows\system32\USBAccessLink_3_47.dll: ERROR: File not found.
could this be the reason why it can't find PICKIT3.

in fact It is not able list any of the USB.
"Retrieving tool list:
Tool list is empty (no recognized tools found)."

I am in fix.
I downloaded PICKIT 3 programmer software too. It finds the PICKIT 3. It uses its own bootloader. To work with IDE or IPE (Installed together) we have to revert to MPLAB mode - removes the bootloder which is not recognised by MPLAB.

MPLAB IPE do not find any tool - probably because IDE is doing the basic job of finding the tool.

In the Debug>>"Hardware Emergency Boot Recovery Fimware ", Pickit 3 is not listed atall. So even if MPLAB finds pickit3, will it be able to load the boot file ?

WITH 6.15, though MPLAB IDE did not find pickit3, IPE could and I was able to program and run microcontrollers a couple of times. However in the last couple of days, various kinds of errors popped up and I suspected, IPE was not able to read the program memory correctly. It was reporting values to be 0 or something else , expected value .... - even when that expected value was present in the given memory address.

On MPLAB IDE, in the installed Plugings , I can find PICKIT 3 tool & Pickit 3 file wrapper in grey color.

On the project properties screen, after selecting the pickit 3 and "apply" I can see pickit listed under Conf:defaut. However , as soon as I click OK butten, it disappears. Fo some reason, MPLAB cannot remember the selected tool.

ON the Run Debugger / Programmer self test, Pickit 3 is greyed - means MPLAB did not find it.

I am totally at loss. Can any one help me here ?

1) How to get MPLAB IDE & IPE find the tool.
2) How to install bootloader into Pickit3 (After MPLAB finds it).
3) About the DLL. How to find it - if it is necessary for MPLAB to find the tool and connect .

I am stuck with TOOL and software that doesn't match

agsuresh

Joined Dec 28, 2023
According to this https://forum.microchip.com/s/topic/a5C3l000000McqtEAC/t379402 if you are using a micro not supported by PicKit3 it will not be available.

Other than that it may be beneficial to install an older version of MPLAB X and go from there.
Available for what ?

The problem is not that of support - It is that , MPLAB do not find ANY USB devices. One DLL file is missing (Its own report).

Where in the world to find that DLL ? I think that DLL helps MPLAB to find the list of installed / connected USB devices

agsuresh

Joined Dec 28, 2023
I am using MPLAB X 5.35 because I PGM in assembly, and the Pickit3 works fine.
Thks . I may have to do just that. But does it support PIC 16F1508/1509/ 15323 etc ? some these new devices has larger memory and good functionality and are cheap - good for low cost products.

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
Pls check if your computer is having this DLL
USBAccessLink_3_47.dll
I use Linux so there is no chance I will have that DLL.

WITH 6.15, though MPLAB IDE did not find pickit3, IPE could and I was able to program and run microcontrollers a couple of times. However in the last couple of days, various kinds of errors popped up and I suspected, IPE was not able to read the program memory correctly. It was reporting values to be 0 or something else , expected value .... - even when that expected value was present in the given memory address.
Unfortunately my experience has been when a PicKit starts reporting errors it is failing.

My apologies for not reading things correctly the first time.

agsuresh

Joined Dec 28, 2023
I use Linux so there is no chance I will have that DLL.

Unfortunately my experience has been when a PicKit starts reporting errors it is failing.

My apologies for not reading things correctly the first time.
I am not 100% sure, yet I suspect, it is something to do with the how MPLAB IPE & Pickit3 programmer behaves.

IPE displays the HEX values of program memory : from what ?

when I installed PICKIT3 programmer 3.10 from MPLAB, I noticed it displays source : ........... This text box displays the source : it shows the values from hex and from the microcontroller . so we know exactly what it displays in the table. This functionality is vague with IPE.

I can't understand : when Pickit3 programmer from MPLAB could find the tool , why MPLAB IDE and IPE (6.20) couldn't ? both from the same company ?

Why can't they adopt the functionality existing in Pickit3 programmer software in the other two ?

with 6.15, IPE could detect the tool and program even when IDE couldn't.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Thks . I may have to do just that. But does it support PIC 16F1508/1509/ 15323 etc ? some these new devices has larger memory and good functionality and are cheap - good for low cost products.
I normally use the MPLAB IDE 8.92 when possible, but had to go to the MPLAB X due to use of a 16F18313.

agsuresh

Joined Dec 28, 2023
The Pickit3 programmer is obsolete mainly because it can't (lacks the needed hardware) program the modern variety of devices MPLABX can be used to write programs for.
https://packs.download.microchip.com/DeviceDoc/Device_Support.pdf
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/mplab-x-with-pickit3.200092/post-1900955
Example Matrix page.
View attachment 319980
This is regarding specific micro controllers. My post was about MPLAB6.20 not listing the PICKIT3 at all. I have this list.

agsuresh

Joined Dec 28, 2023
Thanks for all your inputs. Finally solved the issue.

1) found the DLL file - It was in a different folder with a different name. But no use changing the name and copying to windows\system32 folder. Can't register it with regsvr32.exe. MPLAB sees the file , but raises other error.
2) tried editing a few other DAT files that installs and activates modules - NO use - Shows that the modules cannot be found on startup and exists.

I also installed Pickit3 programmer, PickitMinus programmer etc. Those could detect the Tool , but had issues with the chips I tried. I think one of them was really faulty too.

In end as hinted by MaxHeadRoom, I uninstalled - rather deleted all the MPLAB folders in various locations and deleted all the related keys in the registry - mainly because when installing 6.20 , it never completed the installation - At the end it creates the Uninstall manifests. If this is not properly created (waited almost 12 hours ) , it will not create it and so cannot uninstall the application.

Then started installing IDE one version back. with each previous versions , it could do a little better. Finally reached at Version 5.45. This programs the chips. It lacks some functionality but works.

So far so good.

So PICKIT 3 too was good.

The issue was Pickit3 was showing in the project properties tool selection box but was never allowed to be used.
Good business - In India , the cheapest chinese clone of pickit3 sells at around $25 while Pickit 4 sells at around $100 way too much. Just for comparison ST-LINK\V2 for STM32 chips sells at $2.5/- Even the cheapest of those chips are far better than PICs. I wonder....

Any way Thanks a lot. I am having some other strange issue, which I shall post sepparately.