PICKit 2 Clone Reading PIC

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by PICNewbee, Sep 19, 2017.

1. PICNewbee

Thread Starter Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Having a little difficulty getting started here.

Using PICKit 2 Software and/or MPLAB 8.40

Getting calibration warning.

It can't read PIC.

Anybody know how to fix this?

2. be80be

Distinguished Member

Jul 5, 2008
    I told you the problem you hooked it up wrong or you got a chip that didn't have it or you used mplab and messed it up
    plus mplab 8.40 was buggie

To fix that hook chip up right and use the pickit2 software to recalibrate it

3. PICNewbee

Thread Starter Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Thank you Burt

That was PICKit 3 clones you were telling me about.

Probably same ideas apply.

Used the two options in Calibration and got it to show a value.

Still looks like it is not reading PIC.

4. PICNewbee

Thread Starter Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Burt

These two boards and PIC combos tested good with PICKit 3.

Maybe PICKit 2 doesn't like 10 K ohm resistor across VDD and MCLR lines?

Which power settings are best with PICKit 2?

It has three of them and an On and Off.

One is Autodetect. The other is Force Target and the other one is Force something.

5. be80be

Distinguished Member

Jul 5, 2008
    I told you about both the pickit 3 don't care about calibration bit It will write whatever you want put there
    just add
    OSCCAL=01111110 that sets it to as fast as the chip and go. On most of them.
    And post the code you was loading it be easir to help you it's dark over here.
    But if you hook it up write and tell the pickit3 to write
    OSCCAL= 01111110
    It will see that in the hex and fix it now that maybe not what the pic needs to be dead on speed but it fixes the chip.
    The Pickit2 has a tool to fix the chip and set it as close as it can to the right speed

6. be80be

Distinguished Member

Jul 5, 2008
    There nothing wrong with a pullup from vdd to mclr being 10 k hell I been doing that for over 10 years now.
    I've had a bunch of baseline chips pop up it lost the calibration but every time after looking it was one something I did
    like put the chip backward to lazy to put on reading glasses. Or skipped a pin.
    Even hooked power wrong a time or too back to not wanting to run down my classes.

They both say 4.7 to 10 on mclr The pin doesn't even have to be pulled up if you just programming it the mclr line handles that from the programmer but it will not run without it.

Put the 10 k less problems that way if you pull it up hard with to low a value the programmer not program the chip.
    And the pic can be damaged or your progammer the line goes to proggamming voltage level the 10 keeps Vdd from going with it to up to 13 volts
    to low and it's a short trying to hold the line at 5 volts whats shorts do?

The 10 k lets the programmer hold the chip in reset by pulling mclr to ground.
    It also lets the pin rise up to program level of 9 to 13 volts yes some programmer can hit 13 volts if the usb power will let them most about 12.5 to 12.9 have seen some laptops that the usb was low like 4.6 volts and the pickit only could make 12.3 on the mclr line.
    But don't use it with nothing lower then 4.7 I would stay with 10k
    because the mclr get higher then 5 volts on it and can mess up your chip or programmer

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  7. PICNewbee

Thread Starter Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Thank you Burt

I am going to look at User Guide and see if any recommended setting get it to work.

Will try a later PIC too.

Have to test these two other PICciricuits dev boards anyhow.

18 pin and 28 pin.

Don't know if I even have an 18 pin PIC.