Pickit 2 Availibility

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have to replace my old one.
I guess the only Pickit 2's now are the knock-offs on ebay.
Has anyone found any problems or incompatibilities with these?
I have the 3 but I like some of the features I had with the 2.
Max.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I guess the only Pickit 2's now are the knock-offs on ebay.
Has anyone found any problems or incompatibilities with these?
At least they are pretty cheap even if it turns out they don't do what you want.
I have a Mchip original '2 (and '3 which is what I use) so I can't comment on the clones.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have emailed a couple of the Chinese sellers on Ebay so will see what they say.
AFAIK Microchip went to red with the 3.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For one it has the stand alone HEX programmer which also includes a 3 channel Logic Analyzer and UART tester.
Also it appears that the 2 can re-calibrate the 4Mhz internal clock for the PIC's that use the OSCCAL instruction.
Watch the Dave Jones Blog.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you read my post on the subject a day or so ago, it shows different methods and circuits to come up with to do it.
Max.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I that all ?
Can't that be done is settings ?
You can set the value but how do you know what value to set? The '2 can set the correct value for you.
It also functions as a logic analyser and serial interface with no extra hardware required. All a great help while debugging.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Thanks....Very nice indeed.
@MaxHeadRoom would you chose a 2 over a 3 ?

I am thinking of buying a 3 but now I think a 2 is better.
I dunno if mikroC PRO for PIC supports it and I will be using mikroProg Suite For PIC to program the PIC.
It (PICKit2) does support 18F and later, doesn't it ?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I originally had a knock-off Pickit 2, but bought the 3 when I went to using pic's that weren't supported, I see now there may be up dates to some I currently use, also I just found out about the OSCCAL feature.
Hence the reason I am looking to go back to the 2 where possible, I found the 2 Much user friendly over the 3, to say nothing of the v2.1 pgm features which I missed with the 3.
At the time there was support for the 18F in some cases, not sure now what is.
Max.