PIC 14-pin solderless breadboard adapter

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Good job.

Very clean and tidy.

But I'll guess it only fits to that kind of breadboards?
Thanks.

It will fit the 400 pin and 830 pin breadboard with the power and ground rails along the side. In order to fit the 830 pin breadboard, the power pins are connected to the "A" position on the PCB. "B" is for the 400 pin breadboards.

Of course, one could use it on breadboards without the power and ground rails, but would have to use fly-wires soldered to the PCB (instead of the .025" pins) for power and ground.

Attachments

Last edited:

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I have one breadboard with the power and ground on one side. And I think I've misplaced it, 'cause I haven't seen it for a while.:eek:

This makes your breadboarding a hole lot easier.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Thanks.

It will fit the 400 pin and 840 pin breadboard with the power and ground rails along the side. In order to fit the 840 pin breadboard, the power pins are connected to the "A" position on the PCB. "B" is for the 400 pin breadboards.

Of course, one could use it on breadboards without the power and ground rails, but would have to use fly-wires soldered to the PCB (instead of the .025" pins) for power and ground.
Who built the boards ?????
The came out very nice and clean...
I have no idea what they are for but would like one lol..

bance

Joined Aug 11, 2012
Great idea, very useful! Are these boards open source?
Or are you perhaps thinking of getting a few made and then selling them on 'Tindie' or something?

Steve.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Did you consider ZIF-socket?
I thought about it, but didn't use ZIFs because of the cost, the size, and the relatively low cost of the PICs. I use the adapter boards for prototyping hardware and software for small projects, and in that process, I use in-circuit programming. When I am finished with the design, and I want a permanent assembly, I build that on a perfboard (or PCB) and move the PIC from the adapter to the prototype.

If I don't want a permanent assembly, I just strip the solderless breadboard and start over with a new project. I often leave a PIC in an adapter PCB, and just plug it back in the solderless breadboard when I am read to start something new. So, at any given time, I may have several of the adapter PCBs already populated with PICs ready for experimentation.

My plans also include the possibility of using the adapter as a permanently attached daughter board on a larger assembly, but to date, I have not done that. The truth is, I am still learning PIC programming.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
If you used female headers it's almost a 'picduino'.......

Steve.
Exactly right. My plan is to attach the PIC adapter as a daughter board, with the female headers on the motherboard. Or, if there's no likelihood of removing it, the PIC adapter can be soldered to the motherboard.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
My plans also include the possibility of using the adapter as a permanently attached daughter board on a larger assembly, but to date, I have not done that. The truth is, I am still learning PIC programming.
Like a module you can plug in when needed. I'm playing with the same idea for a 555 based timer module. Three pins: V, GND and Puls. The same with a MAX232.

"There's no end to the possibilities!" - Cable guy.

I think your solder looks great...

bance

Joined Aug 11, 2012
Given the way that prices of smd/t components are in comparison to TH parts I truly believe this is the way that bread-boarding will go in the future.