Photovoltaics help!

angeline_happyoo

Joined Sep 2, 2007
My project is to design an optical-electrical converter, which is suitable for power transmission. How should the O/E circuit looks like?

Thank You!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Googling "photovoltaic power" brings up 2,030,000 hits. We would need much more detail about your project to give a better answer.

angeline_happyoo

Joined Sep 2, 2007
thanks for the comment...

Actually, my title for the project is to 'design of photonic power to electrical converter'. That means, to design an Optical-electrical converter which is suitable for optical power transmission.

I have been advised that not to use photodetector, since it is mainly use for data communication but not power transmission. In this case, Photovoltaics will be choosed to convert the optical power from laser to electrical power for home application.

So, how should i design the circuit for this converter?

Thank You!

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
thanks for the comment...

Actually, my title for the project is to 'design of photonic power to electrical converter'. That means, to design an Optical-electrical converter which is suitable for optical power transmission.

I have been advised that not to use photodetector, since it is mainly use for data communication but not power transmission. In this case, Photovoltaics will be choosed to convert the optical power from laser to electrical power for home application.!
Indeed, a photodetector is out of question there, since you want to convert luminous energy to electrical energy, and not modulate an electrical current with the aid of a photo signal. Photovoltaic cells seem the way to go there.

So, how should i design the circuit for this converter?
Well, I think you should have an idea to start. It is already time consuming helping someone by correcting mistakes or improving his project. Imagine doing entire projects for others. It is not that I don't like to help, but you would learn much more if you develop ideas of your own (even if they are wrong).

angeline_happyoo

Joined Sep 2, 2007
Ya... Thanks for you advise..

But the problem is that i don't know how to start it...
The source of photoboltaic is really limited...
Can anybody give some direction which can help me more understand about the photovoltaics?

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Ya... Thanks for you advise..

But the problem is that i don't know how to start it...
The source of photoboltaic is really limited...
Can anybody give some direction which can help me more understand about the photovoltaics?
There is not a lot to choose then we are talking about photovoltaic cells. I'm afraid you will have to stick to what you can get in terms of cells. Don't expect a great efficiency. 15% efficiency is the best you can find, but those high efficiency cells are too expensive and not comercially available.

nanovate

Joined May 7, 2007
Boeing-Spectrolab got more than 40% from their experimental panels this summer.

12% is the norm for panels on today's market.
You can also do selective etching and concentrators to squeeze out more energy. Tecstar used to be Spectrolab's main competitor their cells were into the 20%+ range in the late 90's.

angeline_happyoo

Joined Sep 2, 2007
My design ideal is shine directly the laser to photovoltaic cell.
Is it correct?

How to relate wavelength from laser, λ, to the output electrical signal, ampere,A. What is the formula?

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
My design ideal is shine directly the laser to photovoltaic cell.
Is it correct?

How to relate wavelength from laser, λ, to the output electrical signal, ampere,A. What is the formula?
Being that the case, for more efficiency, try to match the laser wavelength to the photovoltaic cell's sensitivity peak.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Are we missing something here? This started as a power project -

My project is to design an optical-electrical converter, which is suitable for power transmission.

The idea of using a laser, with less than 1% efficiency to transmit power to a silicon photocell having not much more than 20% efficiency is a very poor way to do it.

I would think that using the SiO2 cells to make electricity and then transmit the power is much more likely to work.

Possibly we have not completely understood the OP's project.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
An electrical cable has 99.9% efficiency. Optics is a poor way to transmit power. That is why that was not done yet. Nevertheless, I think there is some research in that field involving microwave radiation.

nanovate

Joined May 7, 2007
The optical fiber itself is very very efficient it is just that the energy required to "make" the laser light is very inefficient so it is not usually the first method that pops up when you discuss transferring power.

ixisuprflyixi

Joined Sep 16, 2007
wow, I think there is a large communication barrier. The conversation started as a wireless "laser" transmission application to, now, fiber optics. Someone needs to explain what they really want?

angeline_happyoo

Joined Sep 2, 2007
The optical fiber itself is very very efficient it is just that the energy required to "make" the laser light is very inefficient so it is not usually the first method that pops up when you discuss transferring power.
Means that the optical fiber by itself is very efficiency.
But when to convert the optical power to electrical power, it is very inefficient.
Am i correct?

Compare the optical power transmission with the existing power transmission, which one will cause major problem? Why?