PhotoTransistor with peak spectral sensitivity at 1550nm?

Islam Rostom

Joined Jan 31, 2016
Hello, First of all sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum if there is a more dedicated forum for this kinds of questions please tell me and i will delete this thread and post in the right forum.

Second i am working on a project which i need to detect light intensity with 1550 nm wavelength. Photo diodes are great and i am actually using one, but i really prefer phototransistors so if anyone know a phototransistor with those specs or a compnay that may supply this please tell me.

Thanks in advance

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
That's almost twice the wavelength of red (700 nm) so you're pretty far into the infrared region. I can't find one either so maybe they don't exist.

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
I think you will not find such a nonstandard phototransistor. In conventional phototransistors, the base-collector transition serves as a photodiode. You can only look for a photodiode at the desired wavelength.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
i do not see how would that help but anyway it is FGA01 from thor labs
Okay, I misspoke. :oops:

That's an InGaAs photodiode designed for long wavelength detection and their likely are no phototransistors very sensitive in that region.
Why do you want a phototransistor?
Are you having a problem with sensitivity?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
A paper describes describes a phototransistor as having "High responsivities of ~1.8 A/W at 1550 nm and ~0.043 A/W at 2003 nm were demonstrated with low dark current density of 0.147 A/cm2."

Edit:
This link (below) to the paper seems to work consistently. It should take you to a page with a captcha on it, if not Google the string in the quote above.

https://www.osapublishing.org/viewmedia.cfm?uri=oe-25-16-18502&seq=0

Maybe one on the authors of the paper can be of some help, particularly if you don't need many.

The partially successful search term was SWIR phototransistor

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The paper at the link below describes a phototransistor as having "High responsivities of ~1.8 A/W at
1550 nm and ~0.043 A/W at 2003 nm were demonstrated with low dark current density of
0.147 A/cm2."
https://www.osapublishing.org/captcha/?guid=90829AD8-CBC8-4DB1-4FDF-327B0B3AFD50
Maybe one on the authors of the paper can be of some help, particularly if you don't need many.

The partially successful search term was SWIR phototransistor
@DickCappels ..You have a broken link there.