Photodiode

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
It looks more like an infra-red LED than a photo-sensitive diode? Why would a light sensor be black (unless intended to detect only IR)?
Also, you seem to have the diode forward-biased (the wire with the 'flat' is connected to the resistor), so it will conduct in the light and in the dark.

Last edited:

Yuseph

Joined Jun 8, 2020
My diagram shows a transistor that is triggered by IR light. Hopefully this is normally what i bought. this stuff has no base. The base is the detector itself. At least this is what i learnt so far. My receipt says bpv10n - f=940nm

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Yuseph,
Have you checked the Photo Diode data to show how much current will flow when illuminated , compared to the required current to light the LED.?
E

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Long lead on positive. Nothing happens when reversed
That's what you want. No light, no current. It's only active with near infrared light (870 nm to 950 nm).* Get an IR source. An old fluorescent lamp may work. Better yet, get an IR LED. Maybe an IR backup lamp, night vision light, etc. will be available to you. It may also work outdoors. Near IR was discovered in sunlight.

*The datasheet describes the filter, which is why it appears so dark.

Yuseph

Joined Jun 8, 2020
Supply voltage = 7.70v

Forward bias (long lead on positive)
Exposed to sunlight
Led =2v
Resistor = 4.85v
Photodiode = 0.74v

Forward bias
In the dark
Same values

Reverse bias
Exposed to sunlight
Led = 1.31v
Resistor = 0v
Photodiode = 6.40v

Reverse bias
In the dark
Led = 5mv
Resistor = 0v
Photodiode = 6.46v

No light at all when photodiode in reverse

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
A photodiode will conduct only a small current in the light - not enough to light an LED.
If you want it to work like that you could try something like an ORP12 - they get down to pretty low resistance in bright light.

Yuseph

Joined Jun 8, 2020
Right. So that thing is useless.
I just want the component needed in my exercice book. The black led.
Ill see if i can find an orp12. But can you refer me to other references which are commonplace.
The book says phototransistor not photodiode btw

Yuseph

Joined Jun 8, 2020
Hello,

You could amplify the signal of the photo diode with a transistor.
From the given book in the link:

View attachment 209338

Bertus
Excellent suggestion bro
The led glow but its so weak its ridiculous.
And it goes off when i cover the photodiode with something. So that works but the result is pathetic.
is there any practical use for a shit like that ?

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Yuseph,
That fast Infra Red PD , is often used as a 904nm detector in pulsed Laser equipment, it must be amplified in order to drive another visible LED type.
E
Capture.PNG

Yuseph;

Your problem is similar to attempting a microphone to drive directly a speaker. It can't do it by itself, it won't unless you add an amplifier between the two.

That doesn't make the microphone pathetic or useless.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
LDRs are a bit easier to work with for something like that. Here is a typical ckt.
The idea is when light the LDR is low resistance shorting to ground and not supplying enough current for the base of the transistor to turn on. At night the LDR is high and transitor turns on the LEDs. 100kΩ Pot to adjust sensitivity. Safety diode optional. 22kΩ on xstr base.

1591805737598.png