PH sensor interfacing

ANICETH

Joined Feb 21, 2016
Hi there
Am working with the project on water quality measurement for fish ponds and i am getting difficulties to work with water conditions on the choice of sensors like PH, turbidity, ammonia and dissolved oxygen. can i get some help there?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
thank you i understand now, i think the project will go on well
Once I went for an interview at a firm that made PH meters, I didn't get that job, but they showed me round.

The input stage PCBs had guard bands and slots cut in them so condensation etc couldn't influence the readings. They also used very high input impedance MOS circuitry.

Stick with bought interface equipment unless you really know your stuff.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
A pH probe basically is a very small battery. Correction - whatever you were thinking, 1/1000th of that. After a pH circuit project, a chemistry lab potentiostat was a breeze.

ak

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
A pH probe basically is a very small battery. Correction - whatever you were thinking, 1/1000th of that. After a pH circuit project, a chemistry lab potentiostat was a breeze.

ak
I guess the firm I interviewed at must've had some good reason for making their product as complex as they did.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
There are two paths for an analytical chemist. Either the wet lab or the electronics/instrumentation path. Wet lab methods are considered old school and most grad students walk down the instrumentation path.

I cannot tell you how often you see some new analytical professor or one of his grad students looking for projects (funding) to save another research group money by making instruments in-house. Almost all failed miserably. I've only seen one guy really excel and he was something special. A double major Chem E/EE undergrad working on a PhD in analytical chemistry. He could get the devices designed and built but, in the end, the projects all had some faults - basically prototypes. It is much better to buy something that had a reasonable R&D effort attached and/or experienced people doing the work.