Peak Oil

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
How do we know the video is real? Our technology is so good, we can't trust it.
Why fake bad video of them removing a mine when you could have just as easily 'faked' a clear video of them placing the mine on the ship and a closeup of them laughing and singing 'Death to America' when it exploded.
It's not like this is the first time Iran has done this so I don't think trust is a factor here.

Last edited:
It's good because those are people with jobs who are supporting their families and paying taxes.
The fossil fuel industry also receives big subsidies, yet generates fewer jobs, and leaves a costly mess behind for taxpayers to clean up. (If oil-producing and processing US states are struggling to provide basic services like education to their citizens, they probably aren't stashing away billions to cover future clean-ups and remediation...) Recycling solar panels after their 40 year useful life is a considerably smaller problem than decontaminating hundreds or thousands of abandoned wells or fracking sites. And I suspect many 40 year PV panels will be allowed to continue in service until the power they generate is too little to justify cleaning them or the space they occupy.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Right, if I told my boss I could get half the work done with 10x the labor cost I'd be fired before his jaw hit the ground. While I agree that phasing out fossil fuels for something like national scale nuclear base-load power is a goal we need to achieve, it's not a jobs program.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Right, if I told my boss I could get half the work done with 10x the labor cost I'd be fired before his jaw hit the ground. While I agree that phasing out fossil fuels for something like national scale nuclear base-load power is a goal we need to achieve, it's not a jobs program.

At one of our dinners, Milton recalled traveling to an Asian country in the 1960s and visiting a worksite where a new canal was being built. He was shocked to see that, instead of modern tractors and earth movers, the workers had shovels. He asked why there were so few machines. The government bureaucrat explained: “You don’t understand. This is a jobs program.” To which Milton replied: “Oh, I thought you were trying to build a canal. If it’s jobs you want, then you should give these workers spoons, not shovels.”

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
One of our several bridges crossing the Altamaha River delta was built circa 1940 and it had been reported in the local newspaper (colloquially called the "Mullet Wrapper" because all it is good for is wrapping fish) that it was falling apart and had to be replaced. It created quite a stir as it's closure and reconstruction would take over a year to complete causing a very nasty detour. So a local public hearing was announced by the State DOT which I attended. Available there was the pertinent engineering inspection report which I took the time to peruse. In it was stated that inspection had revealed spalling of the concrete surface of the support pillars and went into some detail as to technical details of the circa 1940 concrete composition and detailed the cause of the spalling (flaking off of the outer surface) and with the end conclusion that it in no way impacted the structural integrity of the bridge!?!? During the hearing, I asked to speak and pointed out to the hearing board, and the other attendees, that the end conclusion of the dastardly Engineering Report that they were purporting was the need to immediately replace the bridge was that there was NO structural problem with the bridge! The response from the board's Chief Engineer was "Well we have the funds approved to replace the bridge and if we don't spend them here somewhere else will get the money"!!! Hey, that money comes out of my pocket in taxes! It was a pure and simple make work job and the bridge was replaced... The quality of work performed in the State of Georgia by the GA Dept. of Transportation's lowest bid contractors and passes their inspections is another quite long and sad story.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Ahhh... I was thinking ESSO had Dino, Gulf had "Tiger in you Tank" and then there were the Horseshoes for that HI Octane Kick from someone else...

EDIT: Boy I got that all wrong, ESSO had the Tiger and Gulf had the Kick

Last edited: