PCB wire query...

3 pin Tartan

Joined Feb 8, 2020
Hi there,
Im going to attempt to re-solder a 12v DC Charging port on a pcb for a drycal that I have.
When opening it up, I notice what appears to be either a very thin wire, or is it something leftover from painting the component?
The charging port appears to be glued on to the pcb board, which im going to have to remove, but im not sure if this is a wire that is meant to be attached and treated with caution when trying to remove the glue?
I have attached a photo to show the wire in question, and if it is a wire?

Attachments

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I’m not sure that it’s a wire. It looks to me as if is a filament of the glue holding the socket to the PCB.

I you bring a heated iron tip close to it, does the “wire” melt?

3 pin Tartan

Joined Feb 8, 2020
I’m not sure that it’s a wire. It looks to me as if is a filament of the glue holding the socket to the PCB.

I you bring a heated iron tip close to it, does the “wire” melt?
Thanks for reply. Ive not tried to do anything to it yet..wanted to get it double checked incase I made/caused any damage to the circuit.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
If you've ever used a hot glue gun, you know that that thin filament comes off the glue gun when you stop feeding it glue. You can heat the area up to about 150º F, which will soften the glue quite a bit. It will make picking it out easier.

3 pin Tartan

Joined Feb 8, 2020
Does anyone know what the part is called that the charger goes in to on the pcb board?
The one in the pictures above is broken and needs replaced, but not sure what the part is to try source a new one.
I got it off the board ok, but just need to get a new one attached. Ill post pic of the board and where new one has to go. It gets soldered on to the 3 holes layout at the bottom

Attachments