PCB prototyping and manufacturing in the USA

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
There have been 28 messages since the thread starter accepted the answer that there are no price-competitive sources in the US compared to China.

Perhaps that's enough arguing. No minds will be changed here.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
There have been 28 messages since the thread starter accepted the answer that there are no price-competitive sources in the US compared to China.

Perhaps that's enough arguing. No minds will be changed here.
Correct but I don't think that' was the central point for me. You can't find price-competitive sources but you can find quality-competitive sources in the US compared to China.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
A new prototype board from JLC. It's a simple redesign (different controller Q41) of a more general board to a specific task -> serial protocol converter. The quality of this board is pretty good for the price.

PXL_20220522_143330515.jpg
PXL_20220522_145051493.jpgPXL_20220524_005346079.jpgPXL_20220524_004951747.jpgPXL_20220524_004803048.MP.jpg

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
A OSHPARK version of the PIC18F14Q41 board. A few minor fixes and the addition of a display POWER and GLORY (power is +-, glory is ++) connector. ;)
PXL_20220613_143231575.jpg
PXL_20220613_204045284.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20220614_015845934.jpg

I find cleaning an OSH Park pcbs with IPA attacks the solder mask, it becomes flat dull and sticky. Even 70% IPA. So they are only for water-clean use I guess.

neTC

Joined Jan 12, 2022
I use semi grade IPA on all boards, I've never seen a problem once the residue is complete cleaned. Sounds like more a lack of proper flux cleaning.

https://us.vwr.com/store/product/60...or-the-electronics-industry-vwr-chemicals-bdh
Yes, sounds like left over flux residue to me. I use medical grade IPA and don't have solder masknissues with OshPark boards. But it is tough to get a clean board. I'm about to try ultrasonic cleaning. Hopefully that will yield good results.

It's not flux residue, repeatedly OSH Park solder mask turns flat-coloured and sticky if IPA touches it. I've seen it happen once before on another board out of china. Some PCB solder mask must be eco water-based and gets attacked by IPA, that's my conclusion.
Normally I have no problems using IPA cleaning PC boards.

neTC

Joined Jan 12, 2022
It's not flux residue, repeatedly OSH Park solder mask turns flat-coloured and sticky if IPA touches it. I've seen it happen once before on another board out of china. Some PCB solder mask must be eco water-based and gets attacked by IPA, that's my conclusion.
Normally I have no problems using IPA cleaning PC boards.
Out of curiosity I took an OSH Park purple PCB I had that was as clean as I could get it with IPA. This board had been reworked a number of times and had lots of flux residue despite cleaning with IPA. I diluted some flux cleaner with distilled water and cleaned the board with a brush, wiped of the excess, and then dried it by applying IPA liberally.

This was highly effective at removing the flux residue and clearly superior to using IPA alone. The comments that I would make are that I see no evidence of the solder mask dissolving when inspecting with a microscope... but... it has more of a low-gloss sheen than the high-gloss sheen of a new board. So, some effect due to IPA most likely, but for me it is completely acceptable.

So the trade off might be the low cost of OSH Park with lower gloss after cleaning vs. a more expensive PCB source that retains its gloss after cleaning. Your mileage may vary. There are other quality considerations that would motivate me to move to a more expensive PCB source but gloss isn't one of them (for me).

As others have discussed, there aren't lots of low-cost US-based PCB fabrication services, particularly ones that have decent web-based quoting, etc. So for prototypes, I keep going back to OSH Park. I've made a decision to stay with US based, or at least North American manufacturing. If we want to have good US sources then we have to support them with our business.

neTC

Joined Jan 12, 2022
Interestingly... after letting the board sit for an hour or more it definitely seems glossier. Maybe some residual moisture or IPA has dissipated. Still not like-new appearance.

neTC

Joined Jan 12, 2022
Interestingly... after letting the board sit for an hour or more it definitely seems glossier. Maybe some residual moisture or IPA has dissipated. Still not like-new appearance.
And after another hour or two sitting... I would say the board is like-new in terms of gloss. All the other abuse from my shoddy rework remains (unfortunately).