PCB Epoxy Best Choices

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Two questions:
Does anyone have a good epoxy for PCB repair for fastening trace and pad repairs? Everything ive tried seems to give up under the heat of the iron.
what type of epoxy do they use for fastening capacitors to the boarx? I see white epoxy used quite often? Any descriptors that must be on it such as non-conductive, heat etc? Thank you in advance.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Two questions:
Does anyone have a good epoxy for PCB repair for fastening trace and pad repairs? Everything ive tried seems to give up under the heat of the iron.
what type of epoxy do they use for fastening capacitors to the boarx? I see white epoxy used quite often? Any descriptors that must be on it such as non-conductive, heat etc? Thank you in advance.
The glass transition temperature (Tg) for FR4 is about 140°C. The Tg for your epoxy may be much lower. I do not think you need to match the Tg exactly (or higher), but avoid adhesives like CA that typically decompose at much lower temperatures.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Thank you to narkeleptk and Yaakov for your suggestions. I have looked into both of these previously and I think both will do the trick. The reason I havent pulled the trigger on either of these is because I havent been able to find them in Canada and the cost of shipping and duty makes it very pricey from the US.
I was hoping to see something I can find here in Canada but I guess I will have to bite the bullet. Thanks again for your help.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
I've heard a lot of people do that. I have a cousin in Detroit that I get stuff shipped to and then she sends it over to me. I thought maybe @shortbus knew of some place that I should go visit. Always up for a good road trip.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I've heard a lot of people do that. I have a cousin in Detroit that I get stuff shipped to and then she sends it over to me. I thought maybe @shortbus knew of some place that I should go visit. Always up for a good road trip.
No place to buy (didn't even look) but that was my idea too, the one narkeleptk stated. Many people that have motorcycles do something similar, they ship their extra clothes to the hotel they will be staying at before starting a long ride. But you also need to inform the hotel first. Call your cousin and ask if you can come and visit.:)