PC dual OS

jerone

Joined Aug 30, 2008
Just want to be guided on how to make my PC install 2 Windows OS. WIn98 and WinXP to me more specific. . I will use this win98 for my other programs to run since it cant run in winXp environment.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
On XP, download and install Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, and install a virtual machine of Windows 98 within XP. This way you don't need to mess around with boot-loaders, you don't need to shut-down XP to use Windows 98, and 98 is isolated within XP.

Note, MS VPC2007 does not support USB, so you will need to factor that into any decision you make.

Dave

Hi,
Microsoft Virtual PC has no adequate settings for LINUX based Systems. U can install the Application only in Windows OS. If u need a Secured Internet and free of Virus, better try to Install Linux OS and then VMWare workstation and Parallel Workstation Softwares for Linux help you install multiple Windows OS of your wish and Can have Virus free computer. Try for it and Give me a Comment..

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
Try Virtual Box .. it supports USB and Linux well... i have run linux well in it.. USB I havent tried but option is there in it.. i use Virtualbox for OS testing after I build a custom XP..

And You can run any program prior to Xp in Xp using the compatibility mode which you get on the properties menu of that application.. runs almost anything. then why do you need Win98??

Brass

Joined Oct 13, 2006
You can also partition your hard drive to have a separate one for each operating system. Then you can choose at boot up which one you want to boot. Another option is have two hard drives in your system. I have one that has Vista and one with XP. I have XP boot on start up unless I press F8 to boot from Vista. It's very convenient for me.

Maria Santella
Technical Sales Engineer
ICP DAS USA
I found a free boot manager that does this and also lets you hide one windows partition from another so they don't know that each other exists. works very well and for a while I even had to copies of the same XP running on the same PC, one was a sandbox for the other so that when installing new apps I could do so with out breaking anything... very handy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I do something similar, with a twist. I use removable hard drive bays, where I can swap the hard disk in seconds.

Think I'm always aware of with a dual boot is the fact that if one goes out it can take the other with it. I LIKE using my computer.

Here are some I just bought. I add a second fan (they have the mount) in the bay to keep the drives cool.

triggernum5

Joined May 4, 2008
You can't really munch both systems very easily.. Even if the boot file gets messed you can easily get back in..
One option would be to format the drive to fat32.. (Optionally partition it to give you some ntfs space available to xp if you deal with >4GB files)
Install win98, then install xp.. The boot.ini will give you the option to load either, and with fat32 you have total drive access.. You don't even need to burn your OS's to cd, you can just extract the iso to the fat32 partition, and run setup for win98, and \I386\winnt.exe to install xp..
Word of advice if you do that from disk though, have a bootdisk that loads smartdrv or install will literally take many hours to copy files instead of a couple minutes..

Edit: Ok, I suppose you would need atleast win98 on cd if your drive isn't already formatted to fat32 with an OS installed..