Pathetically basic DC power circuit question

jhansx

Joined Sep 21, 2019
Hail and well-met all the mavens who are here. Thank you in advance for helping me with the terribly simple question. Circumstances are this 1:80 amp DC 12 volt charging inverter in a trailer. 2: 24 volt stackable 1000w solar inverters. Question can I pull power at 24 volts by appropriately wiring battery from a system that is charging at 12 volts and running at a nominal 14.2 volt.
As I said in the title I know this is pathetically simple but I cannot see why it can't be done. Eventually I will switch to all 24 volt Tech 2 power inverter as I complete the transition to a total solar energy system. But for now I have an excellent inverter charger albeit at 12 volts.
My thanks in advance and humble apologies for the gross ignorance that lies behind this question. but as my mama said you can educate ignorant you just can't fix stupid.
Please all have a safe day.
Jeff KG7TXI

jhansx

Joined Sep 21, 2019
You can only charge one battery at a time
my bank is 7 battery roughly one hundred amp hours each that are connected in parallel so I have a system voltage of 12 which of course is nominal 14.2 Max. What I want to do is to pull be series pairs out of that to give 24 volt system.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Question can I pull power at 24 volts by appropriately wiring battery from a system that is charging at 12 volts and running at a nominal 14.2 volt.
Let me ask this another way. You are baking a cake and need two cups of milk. You have one cup of milk. Can you finish the cake?

jhansx

Joined Sep 21, 2019
Show me why with a circuit.
Although a very basic question I don't understand why it can't work that way.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
fa·ce·tious
/fəˈsēSHəs/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
  1. treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.
I don't think it was inappropriate humor; in fact it was spot on. How about no. I don't see a way to charge batteries in parallel and use them in series. If you have a plan, show us what you have in mind; we're obviously not tapped into your sources.

jhansx

Joined Sep 21, 2019
Aside from the obvious setting up 3 Banks of 6 battery each wire to power connection and parallel connection for chart likewise isolated and separated with relay. The essence of the question to the core Power flow in a DC circuit and yes I'm sorry I believed inappropriate.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Aside from the obvious setting up 3 Banks of 6 battery each wire to power connection and parallel connection for chart likewise isolated and separated with relay. The essence of the question to the core Power flow in a DC circuit and yes I'm sorry I believed inappropriate.
Words don't do much for me when it comes to circuits, and your words are extremely difficult to follow. I have no idea what you are talking about.

jhansx

Joined Sep 21, 2019
Two sets of circuits connected to six batteries. An interruptible charging circuit, wired parallel, charging all 12 v batteries to their full capacity at 14.2 volts. Charge circuit disconnected and two batteries, 3 sets wired in series for 24vdc nominal ~28 v actual, connected to load. Entire system run by BMS that uses relays to energize charging line while load is offline. Too complex, hence the original question. Thank you for your answer.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Something like this but charging one set at a time not going to be good tho for you batteries
set.png

I'd get a 24 volt charger.