Particle accelerator

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That was not my intent either, but when you get into the actual design, it is something you will need to be aware of.

But first, you have to have a very good vacuum. If you look up mean free path of air, you will understand why (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_free_path). You need what is called in the table "high vacuum." Hard vacuum (as used in the this thread) meant the same thing.

John

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
How do you calculate the speed of the electrons.
You cant just assume that all the energy gained becomes KE because it would be faster than the speed of light :p

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
i think i get it billO
So the electrons accelerate through the hole towards the ground plate at the end?
Actually the target is at 1 million volts in this diagram

what if i had one 100kv source, can it still be done like that?
Sure, the idea of using multiple plates is that it is (relatively) easy to make a 100KV source, but a 1MV source would not be so easy. As long as you can assure a uniform field you can do it in a single stage if you wish.

What can high energy electron collisions be used to do then?
Bombard the target. Mount up something there and see how it reacts to being hit with a high energy electron beam.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
How do you calculate the speed of the electrons.
Use the equations of Mr. Lorentz.

Actually, an Irish guy by the name of Hamilton (I think) came up with these transforms many years before Lorentz

You cant just assume that all the energy gained becomes KE because it would be faster than the speed of light :p
It does. You cannot accelerate any object with mass to C. Not even something as light as a single electron. Do the math, see what energy is required to accelerate a single electron to C - 1x10^-100 cm/sec

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
This is great guys :)

I know this is alot to ask but lets say i have a single 10kv supply, how do i connect the washers like the diagram to get the 100kv?
Thanks

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Hey Mitch,

There would be no easy, or even practical way to make 10KV DC into 100KV DC. Also, there will be little in the way of exciting work you could do with anything less than about 1 MV. Even colour TV’s use up to 50KV, so maybe you could light up some phosphorus compounds with 10 KV. That would be about it.

Considering the need to create an almost absolute vacuum to do this and the need to re-create that vacuum every time you change the sample, and considering the low voltage you have at your disposal, I’d say this is getting very impractical.

Like trying to run a Roll-Royce with a lawn-mower engine. The results would be less than spectacular. I’m really not trying to be mean spirited here, just trying to put a little reality into the picture.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Why did you say that billo :/
Only jokeing :p

I know...so thats why i need to get some DC Flyback transformers.
I would rather use 20 rings each 20KV instead of 10 at 100KV. Purely for safety

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
What do you hope to do Mitch?

DC Flyback?

20 rings at 20KV will give you 400KV. With that you can give an electron:

Velocity: 0.828C
Mass: 1.78*rest mass
DeBroglie wave length: 1.45 pm

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
oops i meant to say 50kV each
That way i can get 1MeV electrons

well i have made a group with a few people. I want to seewhat particles shoot off in the cloud chamber but my friends want other things to, i think tom wants antimatter but i think you need huge energies for that :/

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
50 KV capacitors are not cheap. Not sure what size you'd need for this.

This place has some stuff that might be useful: http://www.amazing1.com/capacitors.htm

If you can build it, this thing will have a 1MV potential to ground available. I'd recommend a lot of research on safety practices for working at such voltages before you proceed. This thing will be lethal in the extreme.

Good luck.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Remember you can double the impact speed with a second setup.
Two accelerators facing each other.

LHC/CERN does this by running one "bunch" of ions clockwise and one "bunch" anti-clockwise.

They have reached .9997 times C.

Their previous record of .98 times C was CRUSHED.. And it only took a few billion dollars.

AND they are only running HALF power. 3.5 Trillion Volts.

December 2012, they are going FULL power. 7 Trillion Volts.

(Thats a lot)

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
You can use parallel plates to accelerate electrons.
You said the electrons would only get deflected...yes BUT they also accelerate. This is because inorder for them to defelct there must be an external force. The elecont has mass thus a = f/m
Even if a different formula is needed due to the fast speeds, it will still accelerate and gain neV of energy where N is the volatge of the plates!

Fleagle

Joined Jan 22, 2011
Refrigeration service vacuum pump,small diffusion pump,VanDeGraaff generator as your power source,and some odds and ends are all you really need.If they could pull it off in the 50's with refrigerator compressors you can certainly achieve decent results today.See:The Amateur Scientist by C.L. Stong.Its an interesting book put out by Scientific American in 1960.States at the end of the build that voltages in the range of 200-300 kilovolts and currents in the realm of about 20 microamperes,present a serious X-ray danger.Be carefuland have fun!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
States at the end of the build that voltages in the range of 200-300 kilovolts and currents in the realm of about 20 microamperes,present a serious X-ray danger
That's 4 to 6 watts. Some high density particle board might do some fair shielding. Managing the insulation would be very difficult. Any humidity and it's all gone in the corona discharge.