Site Suggestion Parametric search from orange UIquite

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
I've been using the new orange interface since shortly after it came out. There are pros and cons to each interface, but I like the layout, font, whitespace, etc. quite well when I'm reading a thread (less so when browsing thread titles, but that's another story.)

Anyway, I've just discovered that the search capabilities are totally different on the two interfaces. I sometimes want to find an old thread, and it's essentially impossible on the orange interface. If I search for "rotary encoder" I'll get a million hits, most of them going back to before I was even a member here. There's no way to filter or narrow the results, so I just scroll through page after page until I accept defeat.

A week or two ago, I tried switching to the blue interface, and from there l can filter based on date ranges, thread participants, etc. Voila! Found the missing thread immediately, no problem.

So, I've had probably a dozen or more failed attempts on the orange interface since it launched, and now two very easy successes on the blue interface... but I really do still prefer reading on the orange interface. So now I'm in this ridiculous spot where I have to switch interfaces regularly depending on what I want to do.

The blue interface forum search capabilities are brilliant. Why can't l have them on the orange interface?

Please consider upgrading the orange search to blue standards.

Thanks!

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Hello,

Have you tried the "search forums" button?
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/search/?type=post

Bertus
Huh, look at that! Ok, that's exactly what l needed. Thanks for pointing it out. As long as I remember where that's at, I'm all set.

I have to say it seems pretty weird to me that the giant search bar at the top of the page doesn't get you to that, and those search results even have a button for advanced search, which also doesn't get you to that. After trying the search and the advanced search, I assumed I had found all of my search options! On the old blue interface, the search icon took you directly to the forum search. It wasn't buried as a third search method that you had to know to look for.

Nevertheless, now that l know where it's at, that should get the job done. Thank you very much for pointing it out!