Pair of transistors used as AND gate not turning off

Call Remz

Joined Apr 4, 2018
I am building a circuit, part of which is giving problems (see attachment). I designed an AND gate using two transistors (Q2 and Q3) in series. The inputs to both transistors come from (A) square wave signal generator and (B) 555 timer in monostable mode. The output from the AND gate is to be an input to the active low input of another circuit say X. The idea is that the circuit X is to be enabled(active low) periodically from the low signal of the the signal generator (A) or an arbitrary low pulse from the 555 (B). Since the output pulse of 555 when triggered is high, the output needs to be inverted hence the transistor Q1. The problem I'm facing is: When Q3 is turned off by low signal of signal generator, the output taken above R7 goes low as intended, however when Q1 receives a pulse from 555 and inverts it to turn off Q2, Q2 does not turn off. Output at R7 just drops by fractions of a volt say from 4.8V to 4.5V. Please any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated. What am I doing wrong? I have tweaked resistor values and positions without any success. Please help!!!

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Remember the base-emitter junction looks like a forward-biased diode so, with only a 330Ω resistor in series with the base, the positive voltage from the generator goes through the resistor and raises the 1kΩ emitter resistor voltage, independent of any voltage on the transistor collector.