Complementary pair transistors

kilwan

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm making an class-AB power amp. for school. Calculations and the simulation are done, but I need a pair of complementary transistors. Do you know of some shop that's selling those, accepts PayPal and is shipping worldwide (Yea, I'm kinda picky :p ) ?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
What kind of transistors is it we are talking about. If you have used some common transistors that your school stock. You can try to do the matching by your self. Here is paper about that http://www.edn.com/design/analog/4407476/Successfully-choose-complementary-bipolar-transistors But I guess any kind of equipment that can measure transistors β may be of help. You could also try your friend Google. They are not that uncommon. And most world wide major components pushers stock such items

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
What kind of transistors is it we are talking about. If you have used some common transistors that your school stock. You can try to do the matching by your self. Here is paper about that http://www.edn.com/design/analog/4407476/Successfully-choose-complementary-bipolar-transistors But I guess any kind of equipment that can measure transistors β may be of help. You could also try your friend Google. They are not that uncommon. And most world wide major components pushers stock such items
A decent class AB amplifier design should not require matched betas in the complementary transistors, assuming the transistors are specified as complementary in the datasheets.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
since Ron H is watching the thread , I thought I'd ask : How closely matched are a pair of complementary transistors in terms of beta percentages and other important parameters say for an AB amp? I'm assuming that it's easier to manufacture semiconductors to a tighter tolerance than other components .
(I hope i'm not derailing the thread)

kilwan

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I said worldwide because I'm from Croatia, and the transistors I was looking for are BD139 and BD140, but it's not like I need exactly those two. I was looking for the STD830CP20 to be honest ...

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
A decent class AB amplifier design should not require matched betas in the complementary transistors, assuming the transistors are specified as complementary in the datasheets.
I was more thinking of going through a stock of non matched transistors to make a matched pair

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
since Ron H is watching the thread , I thought I'd ask : How closely matched are a pair of complementary transistors in terms of beta percentages and other important parameters say for an AB amp? I'm assuming that it's easier to manufacture semiconductors to a tighter tolerance than other components .
(I hope i'm not derailing the thread)
I was talking about an audio amp. A good design should have adequate feedback to correct for beta mismatches, as long as the betas are reasonably high.
If we're talking about an amplifier without feedback, it depends on the design and the performance requirements.