oven requires 220v, but 120v is all i got

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
That's why I say Licensed Electrician and I won't go into contracts and insurance. If they passed the State Licensing Board Exam you hope to better your odds for a to-code job.

juro

Joined Sep 28, 2018
okay, i went to Ace Hardware & bought a 50 amp breaker, a receptacle, and 15' of thick gauge wire.
and i watched these two videos.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
ANNNDDDD..... I bet neither of those videos were made by s licensed electrician.

You do realize when your house burns down, the insurance investigator will trace the wiring and likely decide that it’s not up to code.

Which is why I have to ask, why are you ignoring all the advice given? 240 VAC shouldn’t be messed with. Especially for appliances.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
That's why I say Licensed Electrician and I won't go into contracts and insurance. If they passed the State Licensing Board Exam you hope to better your odds for a to-code job.
I fix there problems to LOL and yes I passed 4 state Licensing Board Exams
The problem is as I said wiring a house is easy hooking up a outlet for a stove is easy but
to do a code job you need 4 wires and 4 prog outlet and cord
stove.jpg
Stuff like them videos keep me busy to when people sale there house it dosnt pass code guess what we bring her up to code.
And as djsfantasi said let's not forget insurance if they find that someone did something wrong they don't pay out on improper work

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Just to add another log to the fire... Any DIY/unpermitted/non-inspected/not to code work done on a house is uninsurable. So if you mess up and burn down the house or electrocute yourself (God Forbid) don't bother trying to collect insurance to cover the expenses. FWIW

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
okay, i went to Ace Hardware & bought a 50 amp breaker, a receptacle, and 15' of thick gauge wire.
and i watched these two videos.

It's resoundingly clear that you really don't want any advice or guidance unless it just happens to conform to what you've already decided to do. There's really no point in further discussion.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
I think he would be very welcome to actual advice on what needs to be done. However it seems the only advice given to him from the forum is to hire a licensed electrician. (which the forum also suggests may or may not know what they are doing)...

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Back years ago everyone did most of there own work nothing wrong with that.
But now days people watch youtube and think everything they show is right.
Me Its like this I watch youtube for fun if I need figure it out I ask people who have done it.
wiring a stove plug is not that hard buy a stove outlet 4 pin
get some 6-3 wire with ground hook the L1 and L2 to the strait pins that are side by side the Y and X in the picture I posted
hook the white wire to middle strait pin hook ground to round looking pin.
Then hook the L1 and L2 to a breaker doable pole 50 amp hook the white to neutral and the bare copper one to the ground.
If all went right the stove come on if not you'll know you did something wrong LOL
don't even need a tester wire the plug wrong I'm sure it will pop a breaker.
or the stove shock you plugging it in.
But really it's not that hard just look at the picture I posted.

juro

Joined Sep 28, 2018
today i did it. now my oven is working.

both the naked ground wire & white thick wire is now hooked to the neutral bus bar.
wish i had a ground-only ground bus bar, but i don't.

my breaker is just jammed into place. the two copper tabs are too big to fit into my breaker.

juro

Joined Sep 28, 2018
get a shock when i touch the oven. the naked, non-insulated ground wire still needs to be connected
to the oven.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The ground wire is like buying insurance, you don't have to have it unless something goes bad. So apparently the installation is bad after all of the good advice you were given here that you ignored and now you ask for help again? Hire an electrician! Nothing else needs to be said.

juro

Joined Sep 28, 2018
today my oven died. nothing works, not even the clock.
i had an aluminum engine inside, it touched the element.
there must be a fuse.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
get a shock when i touch the oven. the naked, non-insulated ground wire still needs to be connected
to the oven.
That was your last post. Did you resolve the shock issue? Did you install the dual 240 Volt breaker and assuming you did then has it been tripped?

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.