oven requires 220v, but 120v is all i got

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Well, we need need to know the oven's power requirements. From what you posted:
upload_2019-7-28_17-10-34.png

and assuming a minimum of 4.2 KW, that transformer will not work.

juro

Joined Sep 28, 2018
i'm in state of MI. my panel has 220v for our kitchen.

Thanks, i almost wasted my $$

Last edited by a moderator:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Doing the 1st kitchen remod since we built the house 30+ years ago and ran into some surprises. Such as 60A Brkr and the cord set on range was 30A and still not sure what wire size was used. Point being make sure your wiring and breaker match up to the watt rating of the range found in its manual. Most old ovens only needed 30-40A but some new ones like mine can pull 70A if every element in the double oven and stovetop are turned on HIGH. Cord sets stop at 50A. Unfortunately where I live they don't require contractor or electrician licenses and all the building inspector does is make sure the property tax books get updated and the building permit was paid for, and they do not issue certificates of occupancy or do any actual inspecting.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
do i buy a transformer?
That's going to be some big transformer. My oven is on a 20 or 30A 240VAC circuit; you're going to need twice that at 120VAC.

Where are you located that you don't have access to 240VAC? What does your cooktop, clothes dryer, water heater, and air conditioner run on?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I think that there is an obvious comment that has been alluded to, but not stated...

The TS says he doesn’t have 220, only 120. I’m betting that he means he doesn’t have a 220 outlet, only a 120 outlet.

The obvious comment is that you need to hire an electrician to add a 220VAC outlet in the kitchen.

Just sayin’

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
i'm in state of MI. my panel has 220v for our kitchen.
So is this oven going to be placed somewhere other than your kitchen?

My guess is that you should contact a licensed electrician and have them tell you your options for achieving your desired goals -- it's often a lot more involved than you think as you almost always have several different building codes at play. The consultation should be pretty cheap, even free, and they may even be able to give you an option that you hadn't thought of that will work very simply and cheap -- or they may make you aware of enough issues, both from a regulatory and a safety standpoint, that makes you rethink the whole idea of what it is you are trying to do.

juro

Joined Sep 28, 2018
Hi,
My oven is going to be in the basement, near as possible to the breaker box, so as to keep down my cost of install.
My kitchen is off-limits to me, as my hobby of heating metal parts permeates the house with toxic fumes.
This house annoys me, it needs to be more user-friendly.

Mod edit: deleted personal info

Last edited by a moderator:

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
need to do this myself.
No you don't. You need to have a qualified Electrician install the proper outlet/connections. And it looks like the distribution panel needs some work too. The electrician will be a lot cheaper than repairing/replacing the house after the fire.

And if you are in the basement producing noxious/toxic fumes, you will also need to install an appropriate ventilation system.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
need to do this myself. my dad screwed up everything, etc.
No, I think you REALLY need to have a professional at least tell you everything that needs to be done as well as things that better not be done. THEN you can consider whether you are qualified to do the actual work. The answer is most likely no. For instance, do you know what the minimum bend radius is for the wiring you plan to use? Do you know the requirements for stapling the romex to the studs? For putting metal plates over places where the wire passes through the studs? For proper grounding of everything? There are many little details that a qualified electrician is trained to do and it is so second nature that they wouldn't even think to tell you about them if they were trying to tell you everything you need to know in order to do the job properly.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
attached my pics.
The open spaces with no breakers should be covered.

Unless you're a certified electrician, you should have a professional make the changes and have them inspected by a building inspector. Sometimes contractors are able to make "small" changes on special permits and the county will only inspect a percentage of them.

Even professionals make mistakes. The electricians who installed a larger panel for my kitchen remodel didn't connect my generator switch over circuit correctly. The electrical inspector missed it and I didn't find out until the first time I used my generator after the remodel. I was back energizing the utility feed due to their screw up. Someone could have gotten hurt and the overload could have damaged my generator.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Electricians some are just not trained to do the job and then you have ego to deal with I hear it all the time I have 30 years and they barely forty.
House wiring is simple stuff .
Things that have controls show if they know something.
There are bathfans now that most can't hook up and make work.
You have timers motion humidty Then I love this last one don't let them take apart something working.
They burn it up.
But on the bright side stuff like above helps me keep my job and got me a new work truck to boot.
I over see these new Electricians spend lots of time fixing messes and trying to teach them how it
all works.

Lots of Electricians don't do nothing but pull wires and hook up boxes with lights and switches.
That's easy stuff
Controls and motors there not as many now that can wire up things that don't have a brass and silver screw and a green ground
And wire with more then black white and copper or green in it LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.