Output Amp of ATX power supply

crazybuoy

Joined Sep 19, 2010
Can this ATX power supply really provide 30A current at general household 220V AC input? It is what indicated on its spec. sticker. What is actually about its output power?
Actually, I want to drive stepper at 5V and I don't sure, that this ATX can really provide max 30Amp.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If you don't believe the label, test it. That's all anyone could do.
You will need 1/6 of an ohm capable of surviving 150 watts.

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Actually, I want to drive stepper at 5V and I don't sure, that this ATX can really provide max 30Amp.
Works. The only problem is that stepper does not have consumption peaks greater than that.
Power supply protection will reacts and a stop it for a while.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

I agree that a test would be a good idea, but it could be a little hard to do. The resistance has to be very low and handle a lot of power, and the lead resistance has to be considered in the calculation of the resistor bank. And of course if you have not actually purchased one yet, you cant know without believing the spec's unless you can find a test someone else did and posted the results online, and you believe the results of that test too.

I considered making a load bank for my power supplies but never got around to it. That idea came up after i found some power supply labels that had ratings that were hard to interpret and the company tech's i contacted did not know enough about it to give me a definitive answer (Thermaltake).

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Is it the way to test to check how much output power it can provide? I could not understand, please tell me in detail.
Ohm's law to calculate how many resistors of a a certain value / power rate you need, the resistors, the switches to apply power to them and the instrument to read such a current. That is what you need.

Several resistors is a solution to the problem of obtaining one of very high power rate.