Oscilloscope

Icanmakeit67

Joined Sep 23, 2018
I no nothing about an oscilloscopes. What basic/affordable entry level scope would allow me to learn at my own pace with out overload?
Any help would, as always, be appreciated

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
A really capable choice would be SDS802X HD @ $339
This is latest gen stuff that you can drive just like any old scope and provides an advanced feature set that you can grow into.

As you venture into the scope world that has previously been blind to you, the ability to capture screenshots to USB to share for advice is a very valuable feature.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Here is what I suggest. Begin reading up on scopes with a focus on features. While some features are nice to have some are essential to your planned application. Old radio restoration can be an interesting hobby starting with how old AM radios actually worked. You don't need much bandwidth and yes, a scope is a very useful tool right behind a good multi-meter. Today's scopes are a good deal and your budget should net you a plenty good scope for your application. A forum search should bring up some prior threads on buying a scope and selecting a scope.

Ron

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Used or new?

You might be able to snag a used oscilloscope for under $50 at a local HamFest (radio amateur flea market).
If you don't know what to do with an oscilloscope, you shouldn't be spending more that $100.

You can get a new handheld multi-function oscilloscope for under $100.
Shop around.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I would look for a used analog scope for about $100. They are much easier to learn for a beginner. A digital scope might well be very frustrating. 20MHz would be fine for AM radio troubleshooting. Dual channel might be useful.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
I would look for a used analog scope for about $100. They are much easier to learn for a beginner. A digital scope might well be very frustrating. 20MHz would be fine for AM radio troubleshooting. Dual channel might be useful.
How so ?

A scope is a scope is a scope and you can drive a DSO just as easily as any old CRO.
Add the modern DSO offers a pile more info on the display without needing to look at dials, knobs and buttons to see how the scope is set.