Oscilloscope pricing confusion

Lamate

Joined May 22, 2019
Hey there!

I'm currently looking for an entry-level oscilloscope and came across the companies "Keysight" and "Siglent".
Both have models in the price range of about ~400-500€, but it seems like the Siglent models have way more features for a lesser price.

Two models in particular, the Siglent SDS1202X-E (~350€) and the Keysight DSOX1102A (~650€) are really confusing me.
Although the Keysight model has twice the sampling rate, all other features seem inferior, like less than half the bandwith and alot less memory (1Mpts in comparison to 14/7Mpts).
The Siglent model also comes with SPI and I2C decoding for free, while Keysight requires you to buy a 100€ license.

Why does the Keysight model cost almost twice as much as the Siglent one? Am I missing an important detail?
Thanks!

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I'm missing something really important, because I'm equally confused by the price difference between the SDS1202X-E model and the SDS1202X model, which costs almost twice as much.

I've taken the data from https://www.siglent.eu/sds1202x-e.html and https://www.meilhaus.de/dsox1102.html
If anything I've said is incorrent, pĺease do correct me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamate

Joined May 22, 2019
I've just noticed that I confused Mpts and Mpt, sorry about that. But I'm still confused because they both have the same memory(1 Mpt).

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Also look at the Rigol 1054Z (can be hacked to 100 Mhz).

Price differences between Agilent and Tektronix largely them trying
to hold onto market that has become very aggressive, so at low end
they tend not to be competitive.

Regards, Dana.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Have you compared Siglent to Rigol? I have not done that recently (past 2 years), but those two companies compete head to head, unlike Keysight. Rigol started selling fully "unlocked" scopes awhile back for the same price as those sold earlier with such functions as options.

Lamate

Joined May 22, 2019
Also look at the Rigol 1054Z (can be hacked to 100 Mhz).

Price differences between Agilent and Tektronix largely them trying
to hold onto market that has become very aggressive, so at low end
they tend not to be competitive.

Regards, Dana.
Thanks for the quick reply!
As a newbie, I do have a couple of questions though: Are extra channels more useful than extra bandwith and memory depth in everyday usage?
And by hacking, do you mean removing a software lock? And is it possible to unlock the serial decoder, too? Because it is a feature that I'd really like to have and the Siglent comes with it for free.
Thanks!

Lamate

Joined May 22, 2019
Have you compared Siglent to Rigol? I have not done that recently (past 2 years), but those two companies compete head to head, unlike Keysight. Rigol started selling fully "unlocked" scopes awhile back for the same price as those sold earlier with such functions as options.
Do you know any good entry-level models that are fully unlocked? The previously recommended 1054Z requires you to purchase optional features.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The Rigol 1054Z is now sold unlocked for $375.

https://www.tequipment.net/Rigol/DS...MI2IvlkKKw4gIVxVuGCh19IAJvEAQYASABEgIyDvD_BwE

I didn't bother checking on the details. I bought mine just before that enhancement was available.

Oh, and as an added incentive, TEquipment used to offer an addition discount (small, but not insignificant) for members of some forums. If that is what you want, send an e-mail to TEquipment and ask about it.

Last edited:

Lamate

Joined May 22, 2019
The Rigol 1054Z is now sold unlocked for $375.

https://www.tequipment.net/Rigol/DS...MI2IvlkKKw4gIVxVuGCh19IAJvEAQYASABEgIyDvD_BwE

I didn't bother checking on the details. I bought mine just before that enhancement was available.

Oh, and as an added incentive, TEquipment used to offer an addition discount (small, but not insignificant) for members of some forums. If that is what you want, send an e-mail to TEquipment and ask about it.
Ah, looks like I checked the wrong sites. Thanks alot! But I still don't know wether I should go for the rigol with twice the channels or the siglent with twice the bandwidth.
But I think I'll buy the Rigol instead of the Siglent. Thanks for all the help!

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
At that price level, the Rigol DS1054Z is a better oscilloscope. Also, four channels are much more useful for protocol decoding, given that certain serial protocols will use more than two wires (where a two channel oscilloscope will be severely limited). The only upgrade that can be applied to it is the bandwidth - originally this oscilloscope is 50MHz, but it can be unlocked to 100MHz via a code.

If your budget can accommodate the higher priced SDS1104X-E from Siglent, I think this ends up being the better choice, given it is a newer architecture and therefor has a longer roadmap of updates.

All in all, any of these choices will help you as entry-level models.

Keysight has a good reputation and introduced several powerful models in the lower end of the market but, as Dana mentioned, they are not competitive enough.

Keysight is Instrument division of what was Hewlett-Packard. Agilent Technologies is gas chromatographs. You must have missed the memo that essentially said it would be easier for engineers to deal with a different name than consumers especially when HP printers were in the marketplace. They are all separate independent companies now.

Lamate

Joined May 22, 2019
At that price level, the Rigol DS1054Z is a better oscilloscope. Also, four channels are much more useful for protocol decoding, given that certain serial protocols will use more than two wires (where a two channel oscilloscope will be severely limited). The only upgrade that can be applied to it is the bandwidth - originally this oscilloscope is 50MHz, but it can be unlocked to 100MHz via a code.

If your budget can accommodate the higher priced SDS1104X-E from Siglent, I think this ends up being the better choice, given it is a newer architecture and therefor has a longer roadmap of updates.

All in all, any of these choices will help you as entry-level models.

Keysight has a good reputation and introduced several powerful models in the lower end of the market but, as Dana mentioned, they are not competitive enough.
Thank you for the very detailed answer!
I think I'll go for the Siglent 1104X-E then.

This is just a thought to consider but it's something I do when looking for pricey equipment or tools. There are places locally that specialize in liquidating businesses that have filed for bankruptcy or just going under. If I'm looking for something I call them and ask what they have coming up and\or have myself put on a notification list if something comes up in the future. Last fall I picked up a $1,200 slip roll that's used in metal forming for $45. There's not a darn thing wrong with it. You might find a Tektronix or similar for a fraction of the cost of new. Hi tech stuff usually is tagged as tested and anything that may be wrong is noted on a tag. Some sales are listed as, "All sales final or As is." Avoid those sales.

Wuerstchenhund

Joined Aug 31, 2017
Hey there!

I'm currently looking for an entry-level oscilloscope and came across the companies "Keysight" and "Siglent".
Both have models in the price range of about ~400-500€, but it seems like the Siglent models have way more features for a lesser price.
Not surprising, really.

Keysight is what was Agilent's Test Equipment division, which in turn was HP's Test Equipment division. Keysight is the largest manufacturer of test equipment. It's an established brand which has a strong presence in the business/professional market and therefore can charge higher prices.

Siglent is a Chinese Test Equipment manufacturer, and one of the two established ones (the other one is Rigol) which have been around for quite a while (since the 2000's I believe) and which have developed some positive reputation especially amongst hobbyists. It's presence in the business/professional market is still small, although slowly increasing.

Two models in particular, the Siglent SDS1202X-E (~350€) and the Keysight DSOX1102A (~650€) are really confusing me.
Although the Keysight model has twice the sampling rate, all other features seem inferior, like less than half the bandwith and alot less memory (1Mpts in comparison to 14/7Mpts).
The Siglent model also comes with SPI and I2C decoding for free, while Keysight requires you to buy a 100€ license.

Why does the Keysight model cost almost twice as much as the Siglent one? Am I missing an important detail?
The Keysight has the Keysight name. Simple as that. Keysight is charging more because they can.

In the sub-$1k class there's really no point to pay that much for an inferior scope. The SDS1202X-E is a much better scope, offering more performance and a lot more memory.

Also, there's the Rigol DS1054z, the cheapest ($350) 4ch scope that's not a toy.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I'm missing something really important, because I'm equally confused by the price difference between the SDS1202X-E model and the SDS1202X model, which costs almost twice as much.
The SDS1202X is an older model and is available with a built-in AWG (the X-E can control an external Siglent AWG). It also has a slightly larger screen (8" vs 7" for the X-E).

Unless you need one of these things, the SDS1000X-E is the better choice.

Not quite. Agilent was the spin-off of HP's T&M and Biosciences divisions. Keysight is the spin-off of Agilent's T&M division.
An Agilent plant is a within a mile of me which as far as I know does gas Chromatographs. https://www.agilent.com/en/products/gas-chromatography I did do an Explorer's post way back when when it was HP and about 20 miles from it's present location.

So, we're kinda both right. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agilent_Technologies

Hp Enterprise is yet another company. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hewlett_Packard_Enterprise