Oscilloscope choice question

AMenard

Joined Jun 7, 2016
Hi,

I'm presently in the process of building my electronics bench in my basement and I'm about to take the plunge and buy my first scope, but I frankly have no idea what range (mhz) I should buy. My main area of interest are in audio gear (amp creation/restoration, speakers, synths and other audio gear).

I presently have a "cheap" Hantek 20mhz USB oscilloscope but I would prefer a real autonomous scope instead to free up some desk space. But I really don't know all that much about scopes since I'm only starting. How many mhz should I aim for? Should I stay with a DSO only or since I'm interested in audio go the analog way or both?

PS: My oscilloscope "budget" is $1k

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Analog scopes are a lot easier to use for beginners. You already have a DSO for when you need it, so I would recommend an analog scope,
2 channels 20MHz would be fine. You should be able to pick up a used for for 1/10th of your budget.

Bob

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
The thing about audio is that the upper limit is 20 kHz and most people hearing does not even reach that far, most people hear to about 15-16 kHz.

For 200-400 USD you can get used analog scope from ebay. Just in case I would look for something in 50-300 MHz range. To save you some little time, top line Tektronix analog scope was 24xx series like 2465. Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-2...632706?hash=item4b025465c2:g:F50AAOSwvg9XaJAb Look some more, see if you find something better or better documented.

Or you can buy new Rigol digital scope for 400, they have two models at that price right now: http://www.tequipment.net/rigol/oscilloscopes/digital-oscilloscopes/

AMenard

Joined Jun 7, 2016
Would a digital scope impact negatively the readout when mesuring an analog signal?
What I mean is does the Rigol 1054z (for example) 1g/s sampling rate be enough for mesuring an audio signal?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
For analog trouble shooting, a 20MHz scope is fine.
Analog vs digital? Either will work. The difference is price vs quality.
You can get a new digital scope for $400 or a used quality brand name analog scope for under $100.

I still use my Tektronix 422 20MHz scope. Works fine for all analog testing. Don't pay more than $50 if you can find one.

My choice: Tektronix TDS220 100MHz listed for $50 on ebay.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Would a digital scope impact negatively the readout when mesuring an analog signal?
What I mean is does the Rigol 1054z (for example) 1g/s sampling rate be enough for mesuring an audio signal?
Audio signals are loosely defined 20 Hz to 20 kHz.
The usual sampling frequencies are: "audio waveforms are typically sampled at 44.1 kHz (CD), 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, or 96 kHz"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_(signal_processing)#Audio_sampling

Like others sayd, 20 MHz scope would be more than enough. But then you look at the prices and you see 100 MHz scopes for the same price and there is simply no point buying college lab retired 20 MHz analog scope when you can buy retired/surplussed top of the line 100-300 MHz analog scope.