Oscillator using NE555

Trailer

Joined Jan 22, 2023
R1 might be two low and R2 too high.
Keep R1 and R2 between 2k and 200kΩ.
That will alter the frequency range I need and which I'm already getting with these values.. the problem of big voltage drop is the issue.
It seems each setting is giving me one of the requirements but I need both.. the frequency range and the voltage

Trailer

Joined Jan 22, 2023
Install a 10uf cap from pin 8 to ground. I duplicated the circuit using a 5.1K for R2 and .1uf for C1. The frequency was stable at 1600hz with an average output voltage of 7.3 volts with a 14.8 supply.
I may try these values.. but still 7.3 volts is too low for me.. need at least 10 or 11 volts

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
What voltage are you expecting?
I may try these values.. but still 7.3 volts is too low for me.. need at least 10 or 11 volts
You don't understand the output of the 555 as an oscillator.
My digital scope shows appx 13.5 volts peak but the average is 6.5 volts DC because of the duty cycle.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I'm also using a software oscilloscope.. voltage reading is not very trusted but in comparison between both my settings it still indicates a big difference in voltage drops
I suspect that a software oscilloscope is using the mic input.
Do you know what is the bandwidth of your software oscilloscope?
I think you need a better oscilloscope.

Trailer

Joined Jan 22, 2023
I suspect that a software oscilloscope is using the mic input.
Do you know what is the bandwidth of your software oscilloscope?
I think you need a better oscilloscope.
Yes using mic input with attenuator and calibrating the software.. and I have to deal with what I have.. oscilloscopes are expensive lol
I'm using the Visual Analyser by the way

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yes using mic input with attenuator and calibrating the software.. and I have to deal with what I have.. oscilloscopes are expensive lol
I'm using the Visual Analyser by the way
Post a screen shot of your oscilloscope while probing output at pin 3.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you want to measure the peak output voltage with a multimeter you can add a peak detect circuit consisting of a silicon diode, a resistor, and a capacitor (below):
The Out_Pk voltage (green trace) will have a DC value of about a half volt below the peak square-wave output (yellow trace) of the 555 due to the diode voltage drop.
Using a Schottky diode would reduce the difference to about 0.2V.

1674454404759.png

Trailer

Joined Jan 22, 2023
Like this: Minus side of cap to ground, plus side to pin 8.
View attachment 285844
Ok.. I'll try it
Like this: Minus side of cap to ground, plus side to pin 8.
View attachment 285844
Let's get one step back on
To get an average output of 11 volts the duty cycle needs to be at appx 83%.
Let's take a step back.. talking about peak and average readings from your scope.. can you duplicate my circuit with my set values (R2= 1M, R1= 1K and C1= 0.01 micro) to compare with my modest oscilloscope readings?
With the a.m. values I'm getting stable frequencies from around 60Hz to 1300Hz. Other readings are:
TRms ~8v
Vpeak~9.5v
Vpeak to peak ~19v
Note: I installed a 1k resistor in series with R2 to clip any higher frequency

Thank you

Trailer

Joined Jan 22, 2023
If you want to measure the peak output voltage with a multimeter you can add a peak detect circuit consisting of a silicon diode, a resistor, and a capacitor (below):
The Out_Pk voltage (green trace) will have a DC value of about a half volt below the peak square-wave output (yellow trace) of the 555 due to the diode voltage drop.
Using a Schottky diode would reduce the difference to about 0.2V.

View attachment 285845
Thanks.. I'll make one

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Your oscilloscope is showing peak-to-peak voltage of about 19V.
If your supply voltage is 14.8V then your oscilloscope calibration is off.
Also your mic input is AC coupled. You cannot measure absolute voltages.

Conclusion: Your 555-timer circuit is operating properly.

Trailer

Joined Jan 22, 2023
Your oscilloscope is showing peak-to-peak voltage of about 19V.
If your supply voltage is 14.8V then your oscilloscope calibration is off.
Also your mic input is AC coupled. You cannot measure absolute voltages.

Conclusion: Your 555-timer circuit is operating properly.
It is working but my problem is I can't confirm readings with the tools in hand.. I'll try to make a peak voltage prob today and re-measure everything

Trailer

Joined Jan 22, 2023
It is working but my problem is I can't confirm readings with the tools in hand.. I'll try to make a peak voltage prob today and re-measure everything
And correct me if I'm wrong.. if the mic input is ac coupled that won't affect the frequency or the wave shape.. only the voltage.. right?