Oscillator test

Martin Nikovski

Joined Nov 16, 2015
Hello! I am really happy to find this forum and I hope that we can all benefit from our interaction here.

I have the following question:

Say I have an oscillator but I have only VDD and GND pins working. This way, I can apply voltage to it, but I can't get an output signal (at least not via a wire)... I have to propose a way to test whether the oscillator is working properly (creating an oscillating signal) or it's defective. So, it has to be some "remote" wireless method. I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you in advance!

Best regards

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It depends upon the oscillator type, its physical construction and the oscillation frequency.

If there is no internal bypass, put a few ohms between the power supply bypass capacitor and the power input of the oscillator and try to find the oscillator with a spectrum analyzer connected to the power input. If you know the frequency of the oscillator, try to find it with a radio receiver.

Martin Nikovski

Joined Nov 16, 2015
Thank you for the suggestion! I forgot to mention that the whole oscillator is in a sealed housing so I don't have access to the circuit itself.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
if its one olf those crystal can oscilators with the frequency marked, just use an apropriate reciever to listen for the carrier. such as a 10 mhz oscilator, use a short wave reciever tuned around 10 mhz to listen for it.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Thank you for the suggestion! I forgot to mention that the whole oscillator is in a sealed housing so I don't have access to the circuit itself.
The metal can oscillators that fit a regular 0.3" IC socket, sometimes have an enable pin.

The datasheet and carful look at the part number may be the only solution.