Oscillator circuit

mentaaal

Joined Oct 17, 2005
Hey guys,

this might be a really stupid question but I just cant get my head around it. I was looking through this website in the last part of the DC volume about L and C in parallel where the author went about showing how this formation leads to an impedance of undefined.

If this is so how can this formation stabilise the frequency of oscillator circuits or indeed be an oscillator circuit itself? I understand that the voltage and current waveforms osciallate locally within the circuit but how can it supply such a frequency to a circuit when it blocks a signal which is at the oscillator's resonant frequency?

Any elaboration of this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you .

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Originally posted by mentaaal@Oct 18 2005, 04:13 PM
I understand that the voltage and current waveforms osciallate locally within the circuit but how can it supply such a frequency to a circuit when it blocks a signal which is at the oscillator's resonant frequency?
[post=11100]Quoted post[/post]​
The output of the oscillator is developed across the tank, not through it. This is explained two pages further along: Applications of resonance.

How are you enjoying the tutorials? Are they helping?

Well, in an oscillator thee tank circuit privides feedback. The feedback is then feeded back into the amplifer, thus keeping the signal going. If any noise is present in the circuit, the tank circuit will help get rid of it, since tank circuits have a certain frequency they are resonant at.

mentaaal

Joined Oct 17, 2005
Originally posted by thingmaker3@Oct 19 2005, 04:24 AM
The output of the oscillator is developed across the tank, not through it. This is explained two pages further along: Applications of resonance.

How are you enjoying the tutorials? Are they helping?
[post=11103]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey thanx for the reply. In answer to your question I absolutely love this site. I have read everything up to the semicinductor and am happy that I understand it all. I have never come across any other texts that come close to explaining electronic concepts. I just can wait till the information in the semiconductor section is ready.

I read the section that you mentioned but it just doesnt explaind how it stabilises the oscialltions it just says that it does so. Maybe I am missing something here because it the illustration just below it shows how the tank circuit stops signals at the resonant frequency. Could you maybe dum it donw for me please?

Thanks loads.