OP-Amp 564 Output Shutdown

Seruca

Joined Oct 29, 2019
I need to build a controllable output shutdown for the OPA 564 so I can force the amp to shut down. The solution in the datasheet uses an optocoupler but I rather use it with some pull-down resistor. My build uses dual-supply with +/- 6,2 V. In this link you have the datasheet of OP 564: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa564.pdf

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
As long as your system pulls E/S down close to the negative amplifier supply that will be OK.
Note the sections in the datasheet that describe the effects of shutdown which, for some circuit arrangements, can damage the amplifier.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Below is the LTspice simulation of a single transistor shutdown circuit for the OPA564 amplifier.

The Enable input (blue trace) must be 3V or greater to turn on the amp and below 0.5V to turn it off.

The spec for the E/S input states that it should be within 0.8V of V- for Shutdown, and 2V above V- for Enable of the amp.

The simulation shows the E/S voltage (red trace), which is within 477mV of V- when Shutdown (yellow trace) and 9.2V above V- when Enabled, both well within spec.

Rint is internal to the chip.

Note that the Enable source (Vtest) must be able to drive 2.5mA @ 3V input.

1572373521981.png

Last edited:

Seruca

Joined Oct 29, 2019
So using a transistor I could shift the op-amp to both cases: enable and disable controlled by the voltage input on Vtest

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The TS makes no mention of the control to do the shut down. If it is a manual switch or a relay contact then there is not an issue, but if the intention is to force a shutdown with a 5 volt logic signal then a resistor connection is probably not going to serve well. So more information is required for a correct answer to be given.

Seruca

Joined Oct 29, 2019
Below is the LTspice simulation of a single transistor shutdown circuit for the OPA564 amplifier.

The Enable input (blue trace) must be 3V or greater to turn on the amp and below 0.5V to turn it off.

The spec for the E/S input states that it should be within 0.8V of V- for Shutdown, and 2V above V- for Enable of the amp.

The simulation shows the E/S voltage (red trace), which is within 477mV of V- when Shutdown (yellow trace) and 9.2V above V- when Enabled, both well within spec.

Rint is internal to the chip.

Note that the Enable source (Vtest) must be able to drive 2.5mA @ 3V input.

View attachment 190135
thanks for the help I will use this solution. :)