Online advice tutorials

BenjiMaxwell

Joined Apr 12, 2017
Hi All,

Does anyone by chance know and good websites/video playlists to help with control panel wiring, just something that teaches and show pictures/videos on how to wire such motor control, temperature control or anything to do with electrical control wiring

At the minute I have a temperature control which I'm asked to run from the control through a relay into a contact and out to the pt100 and I don't get if I'm linking my A1 (coil) to one side off my NC then out my NO to the contractor

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Control Panel Layout And Wiring Best Practices is a good starter read on the subject and it shows a few examples.
At the minute I have a temperature control which I'm asked to run from the control through a relay into a contact and out to the pt100 and I don't get if I'm linking my A1 (coil) to one side off my NC then out my NO to the contractor
I have no idea exactly what you are getting at but if you are implying running the terminals of a PT 100 sensor through a set of relay contacts I can pretty much tell you that would be an extremely poor practice. When using a PT 100 rtd sensor a good practice would be to consider the lead length and resistance and having relay contacts in the path is a very poor idea. Have you looked at a PT 100 resistance table?

Maybe a drawing or schematic of what you have in mind would be a good idea.

Ron

BenjiMaxwell

Joined Apr 12, 2017
Control Panel Layout And Wiring Best Practices is a good starter read on the subject and it shows a few examples.

I have no idea exactly what you are getting at but if you are implying running the terminals of a PT 100 sensor through a set of relay contacts I can pretty much tell you that would be an extremely poor practice. When using a PT 100 rtd sensor a good practice would be to consider the lead length and resistance and having relay contacts in the path is a very poor idea. Have you looked at a PT 100 resistance table?

Maybe a drawing or schematic of what you have in mind would be a good idea.

Ron
Ignore Pt 100, I'm basically controlling a contact (24v) via the relay inside the controller and also an outside relay then to the contact... hopefully this little drawing makes better understanding.

Attachments

BenjiMaxwell

Joined Apr 12, 2017
And basically what I'm also saying is, is there a website it that show... if you want to wire a motor this is how you do it... if you want to wire a drive with a stop/start signal this is how you do it.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I do not know of any single website which covers all of the good panel wiring practices. The link I listed does mention motors and good practices for panel wiring. Here is an example of something I designed about 6 or 7 years ago. Note how I bring in 24 type K thermocouple lines plugging them into a panel having 24 temperature transmitters. All temperature data is routed to my computer AI (Analog Inputs) All relays are 24 VDC coils and are all 3PDT using 11 pin bases. C2 Cab Inside.jpg

C2 FP Inside.jpg

My guys who assembled the panels worked from my drawings and used their own discretion. For example low level milli-volt signals did not share conduits with line voltages. The correct types and gauges of hookup wire was all called out on the BOM (Bill Of Materials) on the drawings.

If you want to wire a drive with a Stop / Start PB (Push Button) switches you layout and design a motor latching circuit. You design based on need and using good design practices which come with years of school and practical application. You start with a plain white sheet of paper. Good design practices are a skill set you develop, there is no single video shows all.

For example if I Google "three phase motor start stop latching circuit". Google will get me to here among other places. There is no simple one link does all.

Ron