One touch dc motor speed control

kuera

Joined Aug 17, 2012
Good afternoon

I've got a small question here I hope is easy to solve If possible I'm looking for an electronic schematic for a simple and small method of controlling the speed of one of those small 3V hobby motors (those ones you usually get in cheap toys). The idea is a touch button that when you push it once it goes at 1/3 speed, next touch does 2/3, next is full power and then final press turns it off and cycle that all over again. Sort of the same idea you get for those small led head lamps or flashlights. It doesn't even need to be 3 stages it can go from 1/2 - full - off if that would work too. The power supply is also just a 3.5V Li battery. I'm trying to avoid using any kind of switch or knob as I just want to press one button. Anyone got some ideas?

Much thanks in advance to anyone who gives this a look. Gordon

olphart

Joined Sep 22, 2012
Simple microcontroller setup as PWM feeding a FET.
Drive the gate with an NPN for light loads, FET driver for higher power.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Or '4017 to count button pushes. Outputs of the '4017 to switch resistors for a '555 astable circuit to generate the PWM then drivers as in post #2.

DD beat me to it.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Good afternoon

I've got a small question here I hope is easy to solve If possible I'm looking for an electronic schematic for a simple and small method of controlling the speed of one of those small 3V hobby motors (those ones you usually get in cheap toys). The idea is a touch button that when you push it once it goes at 1/3 speed, next touch does 2/3, next is full power and then final press turns it off and cycle that all over again. Sort of the same idea you get for those small led head lamps or flashlights. It doesn't even need to be 3 stages it can go from 1/2 - full - off if that would work too. The power supply is also just a 3.5V Li battery. I'm trying to avoid using any kind of switch or knob as I just want to press one button. Anyone got some ideas?

Much thanks in advance to anyone who gives this a look. Gordon
Hello there,

There are two basic versions of a speed controller. The first is just a feed forward type design, the second has feedback to control the motor speed even when the motor is under load. So we have two basic types:
1. Motor drive only which varies the current/voltage to the motor.
2. Motor drive with feedback to keep speed constant even under load.

Do you need #2 above or can you get away with #1 above?

#1 is simpler but the motor slows down when a load is applied to the shaft. #2 requires a little more circuitry but the motor does not slow down when a load is applied.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The circuit below was designed for provides about 50 mA for motor, because the output current of CMOS ic is too less, so I used the driver circuit as darling circuit, but the output voltage is more lower.

One Touch Switch 3 Speeds Motor Controller Using CD4013-02_ScottWang.png

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
The circuit below was designed for provides about 50 mA for motor, because the output current of CMOS ic is too less, so I used the driver circuit as darling circuit, but the output voltage is more lower.

View attachment 158229
Hi,

I would prefer a voltage follower output stage so we have more predictable control of the unloaded speed. Might be hard to obtain though with only a 3.5v supply voltage.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Hi,

I would prefer a voltage follower output stage so we have more predictable control of the unloaded speed. Might be hard to obtain though with only a 3.5v supply voltage.
If you means that the voltage follower is using bjt then the output voltage will be as Vo = 3.5V-0.9V = 2.6V, that is similar with the output voltage using standard darling circuit in my circuit, if it is two stages then the output voltage will be more less as Vo = 3.5V-1.4V = 2.1V, I didn't use the voltage follower very often, because the output voltage will be loss about 0.9V, but I like to design the output voltage is close to Vcc when the output is high and close to Gnd when the output is low.

Use a 555 as pwm motor speed control can be get a big range speed control.

Last edited:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
If you means that the voltage follower is using bjt then the output voltage will be as Vo = 3.5V-0.9V = 2.6V, that is similar with the output voltage using standard darling circuit in my circuit, if it is two stages then the output voltage will be more less as Vo = 3.5V-1.4V = 2.1V, I didn't use the voltage follower very often, because the output voltage will be loss about 0.9V, but I like to design the output voltage is close to Vcc when the output is high and close to Gnd when the output is low.

Use a 555 as pwm motor speed control can be get a big range speed control.
Hi,

Yeah the base emitter drop gets us in trouble with the voltage follower, not as bad with common emitter. Common emitter stage collector voltage is harder to predict though.
Maybe a Zetex transistor.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Hi,

Yeah the base emitter drop gets us in trouble with the voltage follower, not as bad with common emitter. Common emitter stage collector voltage is harder to predict though.
Maybe a Zetex transistor.
I haven't use the Zetex transistor yet, maybe hard to buy in the local EE stores, I just checked the one ZXTN25060BZ and the Rce(sat), Vce(sat) quite low, there is a little like to use the MOSFET.
ZXTN25060BZ 60V, SOT89, NPN medium power transistor

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Yep. Better relationship between the control voltage and speed.
The easy way is to use the diode and capacitor to converts from pwm to voltage, but the problem is that the duty cycle changing too large, so it needs to use the switch to change the different capacitors, and maybe that is not what the TS wanted, if use other components maybe will causes the cost too high, do you have any good ideas to complete what you mentioned?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Circuit in post #6 provides the four voltage levels. Then use that voltage to change the duty cycle of a '555. Then drive the motor via a CE transistor from the '555 output.