One-layer vs two-layer PCB question

uka091

Joined Apr 24, 2022
Hello i am an amateur maker and i have been using gerber files attached to print my pcbs from chine where they charge the same for 1 or 2 layer pcbs but now my suplayer is charging more for 2 layer . As far as i can see the bottom layer is not necessary but i am not sure so if anybody here can help me and confirm that the bottom layer in attached gerber files is not necessary i would be grateful

Attachments

Ervin2022

Joined Mar 30, 2022
My friend,
I will be happy to assist, but unfortunately I cannot open the files somehow. Would it be possible for you to post here the top and bottom copper as a picture?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Who are you using? PCBway and a couple of others do not charge more for 2 layer.
Depends on the design and how difficult it is to rework it ,if you can get away with 1 layer or not.
What PGM did you use for the gbr?

uka091

Joined Apr 24, 2022
Hi thanks for the answers i was using PCBway and they charge the same for 1 or 2 layers . Now i want to use a local company and they charge 50 % more for 2 layers. I only have a picture for top layer not the bottom. on the bottom layer there are only holes and no vias i think the picture is in .rar attached in the post i can take a picture of the printed board since i dont know how to get a picture from gerber

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hello i am an amateur maker and i have been using gerber files attached to print my pcbs from chine where they charge the same for 1 or 2 layer pcbs but now my suplayer is charging more for 2 layer . As far as i can see the bottom layer is not necessary but i am not sure so if anybody here can help me and confirm that the bottom layer in attached gerber files is not necessary i would be grateful
Please try to use a thread title that more accurately describes your question.
A title such as "Need help on answering a relatively simple question" is rather generic and helps nobody.
A title such as "One-layer vs two-layer PCB question" is a better description of your topic.

uka091

Joined Apr 24, 2022
Please try to use a thread title that more accurately describes your question.
A title such as "Need help on answering a relatively simple question" is rather generic and helps nobody.
A title such as "One-layer vs two-layer PCB question" is a better description of your topic.
thank you for the suggestion I dont use forums often so I didnt know sorry. i suppose i cant change it now right ?

Ervin2022

Joined Mar 30, 2022
Hi,
From the information that you gave, it certainly seems that you have a single sided board. A few non-plated holes will not turn it into double sided. All this, assuming that:
- There is no copper on bottom layer
- Indeed there are no plated holes.

uka091

Joined Apr 24, 2022
Hi,
From the information that you gave, it certainly seems that you have a single sided board. A few non-plated holes will not turn it into double sided. All this, assuming that:
- There is no copper on bottom layer
- Indeed there are no plated holes.
the bottom side does have copper but it is all connected and holes just connect to the ground side on the other side . all my components are smd so i dont use the holes for soldering components but maybe they affect the capacity or something ? i attached photos of top and bottom layers in this post

Attachments

Ervin2022

Joined Mar 30, 2022
Unfortunately, in this case, it is a double sided board. Simple, but double sided.
So - you'll have to find a manufacturer that gives a reasonable price.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi uka,
If the 3 holes are Plated Through Holes. PTH, the manufacturer will charge for a double sided PCB.

The circuit looks like an 8 channel selector.???

E

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I think it‘s time to tell your usual supplier to go away and sharpen their pencil, or otherwise you’ll be changing to a different supplier who doesn’t charge extra for double sided.

uka091

Joined Apr 24, 2022
hi thanks for the answers again. i got the guy that made me the gerber on the phone and he explained that the other side is only for rf interference shielding and is not strictly necessary so i ordered single sided hope it all turns out well.

uka091

Joined Apr 24, 2022
hi uka,
If the 3 holes are Plated Through Holes. PTH, the manufacturer will charge for a double sided PCB.

The circuit looks like an 8 channel selector.???

E
yes its for a 7 segment display the middle chip is a mcp23017 gpio expander and left and right is uln2803 transistor arrays i was thinking about switcing to bit shift register for the middle but that would require the change in gerber any thoughts on that ?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi uka,
Expanders and ULN's don't sound high speed logic, why do you consider a backplane is necessary.?

If you must have a backplane, just make it plain copper, place doughnut pads on the track face and drill 1mm holes yourself and wire link through. [ depends of course on the quantity of PCB's]

E
BTW. does the PCB require mounting holes.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
There are many suppliers and prices nowdays can be same for 1-6 layers. What is the charge difference and is it really a deal breaker? What info is not revealed? Is this pcb supposed to be high current? If you are asking for 4oz copper, then yeah .. everything matters

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
If you are using a local supplier, you can probably get 20 boards from China for the price you are paying for one, and no extra for two-sided.

Bob

uka091

Joined Apr 24, 2022
I ordered from local supplyer because i needed the boards fast I was ordering from china until now and probbably will in the future again. I was just wandering for this time . problem is solved the answer was that the bottom layer is just a backplane that helps with interference which is not a big deal since it is not high speed logic or high voltage