One alternator to multiple inverters?

boonxiong

Joined Oct 17, 2011
Can I connect a high voltage inverters directly to an alternator without a battery? If so, can I plug multiple inverters to the alternator if the alternator can supply the necessary amp? (check image)
1-3.jpg

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
The problem is an automotive type alternator requires a current to create the magnetic field that it uses to generate electricity. So if it's stopped, to get it started you have to both spin it AND supply some current to the windings to get the magnetic field going. So a battery is required to get it started. Once it's going, it can operate without a battery.

If you have a permanent magnet alternator, I think it's really called a magneto, then you don't need a battery to get it going because the magnetic field comes from permanent magnets, not an electrical coil. Many motorcycles use this type of alternator/generator/whatever you want to call it. ;)

In either case, in the absence of a battery you should use some capacitors to try to clean up some of the electrical noise. Also if your inverters suddenly require a big burst of power, the alternator/magneto/generator likely won't be able to supply a sudden surge, so capacitors (big ones) would help with this as well.

boonxiong

Joined Oct 17, 2011
I have a gas generator. How does it generate electricity without a battery? Are the alternators in these gas generators fitted with permanent magnets?

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Your generator has some residual permanent magnetism that gets things started.

A voltage regulator does not necessarily clean up noise. Some types of regulators create a bunch of noise themselves, such as the shunt type regulators common on motorcycles.