On-Off-On Circuit

rsqunit

Joined Dec 30, 2017
I have an LED light strip that has two color options (powered separately). Normally, the vendor recommends using a momentary on-off-on switch to light up the desired color.

However, for this application, I need to use a simple on-off switch and would like to use some kind of circuit with logic to choose the light color. I have LED lights that do this, but cannot find an LED strip, so I think a custom circuit is needed, unless someone knows of one already.

Use Case:

Turn Switch On: RED lights come on
Turn Switch Off, then back on within 4 seconds: WHITE lights come on

If more than 4 seconds go by, after switching off, then RED lights come on when the switch is flipped to on.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
By "momentary on-off-on switch" do yo mean a three position toggle switch (With 3 connections.) biased to the centre off position that connects the common to one of the other contacts when it is moved to the left and connects the common to the other contact when it is moved to the right ? (The common connection is normally the centre of the three connections. Does the selected colour stay on only while the switch is held to the left or right or does it latch on until the other colour is selected ? You have not said how it should behave when the white light is on and it is switched off for less then 4 seconds and more than 4 seconds. (My guess would be that you want the white light to come on if it is more than 4 seconds. You would want the red light to come on if it is less then 4 seconds. Is this guess correct ?) As you are a computer engineer using an 8 pin microcontroller such as an ATtiny13 or a PIC13F1840 would probably be the simplest solution.

Les.