Old Tektronix Analog 2245 vs. New Digital China Hantek

Nathaniel Zhu

Joined Oct 16, 2015
I just bought a Tektronix 2245 for $105 on ebay and I'm taking sort of a gamble. The horizontal trace looks fine but since there's no probe the seller couldn't test it forther for an actual waveform, maybe there could be other issues?

But I saw that usually, I see this scope going for >$250 on google shopping and ebay.
That's around the same price as a Hantek DSO5072p.

Functionally, how would they compare? The intuition is that if they're the same price, then you go for the newer model unless one provides better function.

Thanks!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
There could be many things wrong with the Tek scope. If could also be damaged if it isn't packed properly for shipping.

It depends on your application but, personally, I would go for a Tek 100MHz analog over any equivalent or lower bandwidth digital scope. Do some research on DSO blind time and you'll get an idea why.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Well, you already bought the analog one didn't you. If you are just starting out with electronics, you made a good choice.

However, if you are familiar and comfortable with digital electronics, the digital job might be better.

I understand that there are many hacks to that model, and the specs can be increased greatly.

Anything digital will be hacked. I had no idea of scope hacks..........but evidently, there are many.

Plus you get FFT, which is most valuable.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I have a pair of 100 MHz Tektronix scopes. One ana log one digital and I can say that for all fancy things the digital can do the analog unit sees 10 times more use simply due to its simplicity and ease to work with.

The analog scope is like using any other analog scope which makes it easy to remember how t set it up. The digital one seems like every time I use it I need to read half the operators manual to figure out how to make something work to which a week later I have always forgotten it again.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You don't need a probe to test the oscilloscope. All the typical probe does is reduce the gain of the input by 10x to increase the input impedance.
Just connect any signal directly to the input.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Doesn't mean much, especially if you're buying from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I just bought a Tektronix 2245 for $105 on ebay and I'm taking sort of a gamble. The horizontal trace looks fine but since there's no probe the seller couldn't test it forther for an actual waveform, maybe there could be other issues?

But I saw that usually, I see this scope going for >$250 on google shopping and ebay.
That's around the same price as a Hantek DSO5072p.

Functionally, how would they compare? The intuition is that if they're the same price, then you go for the newer model unless one provides better function.

Thanks!
Hi Nathaniel:
I just recently bought a new Tektronix digital storage oscilloscope...one of their entry level models at about $450. The performance is amazing. I've had many analog Tek scopes before, but the newer DSOs are better in nearly every parameter. However, the price you paid for the scope is very good if it is working fine. That model DID have problems with the HV supply, and it had to be replaced as a module. However, since you have a trace, I suspect the HV is just fine, and will probably last a few more years. The vertical sections are fairly easy to work on and repair if there is a problem there.

Eric

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
One thing that should be considered is that an old Tektronix scope is in fact old. If it has been refurhised in the last several years than no big deal, it should last you a long time. But it has never been refurbished then those filter caps aren't getting any younger. The scope is far, far more repairable then that Hantek scope. With some help on the Tek mailgroup I was able to repair mine. I then considered replacing all of the filter caps till I saw how the PSU was buried. Tek was ingenious at getting all of those components in a compact package but much of it is a real challenge to access. The worst of it being the PSU. I ended up selling my Tek and bought a new Rigol.