Old School IC Memory vs Newer 21st Century IC Memory Chips

acvegasusa

Joined Feb 23, 2017
(Newbie)

I have an old school stereo digital equalizer from the early 1990’s (by Audio Source/EQ Ten). Once the AC power is removed all the equalizer digital settings within the unit IC Memory Chip is automatically erased; the unit was not designed with an internal back up battery to store the memory once ac power is removed. Is it now possible with all this new technology to update the same IC Memory Chip(s) with newer identical IC Memory Chip (same specs) that can store memory even when the ac power is removed without the need for a backup battery within the circuit? If so, what type of identification marks/info within the IC Memory Chip specs should I be in the lookout for an upgrade of the same identical IC Memory Chip with a newer memory chip that will store its memory?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
Is it now possible with all this new technology to update the same IC Memory Chip(s) with newer identical IC Memory Chip (same specs) that can store memory even when the ac power is removed without the need for a backup battery within the circuit?
You really packed a lot of information into one paragraph and I'm not sure what you're asking.

Is it now possible with all this new technology to update the same IC Memory Chip(s) with newer identical IC Memory Chip (same specs) that can store memory even when the ac power is removed without the need for a backup battery within the circuit?
This statement/question doesn't make sense. A newer identical memory should behave like the older identical memory. If the older one was volatile, then a newer identical memory would also be volatile.

If you want to replace some memory device in an existing product, you have to replace it with one with the same functionality. You can't replace a volatile memory device with a nonvolatile device if support wasn't already built in.

Can you replace SRAM/DRAM with NVRAM/FLASH/EEPROM? In general no.

Kjeldgaard

Joined Apr 7, 2016
There are probably a bigger problem with the software in the unit.

For if the memory is changed into some form of non volatile, then the device software still initialize various variables with standard values at powerup.