OLD POSTS

What to do with necroposting

• Total voters

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
@ronv

I concur with the points of your proposal but with one major exception -- Let's not relegate newcomers to 'second class citizenship'! --- 'Early days' on this site does not equate to 'childhood'! -- As a newcomer, I would have found said policy all of presumptive, condescending and straight up offensive! --- Moreover, it smacks of 'clubism' -- the 'pledges' deserve better than that!:)

Again, it 'sounds like a plan' otherwise!:cool:

Best regards
HP:)
Hi!
I'm not sure if you saw the part that says it gets kicked to a moderator only if a new member ignores the warning, checks the box and posts to an old thread. It's the only way I can think of to keep the Fuji elevator guy that started this whole flap from posting. :(I think this is often a language barrier, but who knows.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Hi!
I'm not sure if you saw the part that says it gets kicked to a moderator only if a new member ignores the warning, checks the box and posts to an old thread. It's the only way I can think of to keep the Fuji elevator guy that started this whole flap from posting. :(I think this is often a language barrier, but who knows.
Fair enough!:) -- My sugestion was merely that any change in policy should not prejudge posters based upon tenure --- That said, ACC has an excellent 'track record' in this regard:) - As compared, for instance, with sites that disallow responses by members scoring less than a certain number of 'reputation points' -- as if scant tenure or (essentially) arbitrary 'feed back' schemes preclude useful responses...

All of which is to say: I feel that AAC's present policy of 'presumption of competence' is one of its great strengths and, hence, worthy of maintenance!:):):)

Best regards
HP:cool:

Last edited:

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
@jrap

Yes, coding should reduce the majority, but, I would try to get a list to you and let the members comment before you do a lot of coding. Give me a couple of days, I have a wedding to go to tonight and pool tomorrow. I'll start a thread and hopefully some others will join the quest.

Is there a way to move those type titles to an auto review section and notifying the poster why it was sent there?
I'm not to keen on putting 'poorly titled' into a review section in the backend. I prefer a solution that catches poor titles during the thread creation process. I'm thinking something along the lines of a 'password strength meter' that I see on a lot of sites. Ebay has a great example:

upload_2016-2-7_14-4-46.png

We would include instructions like: 'Your thread title is too short', 'We recommend removing "Urgent" from your title, "Your title is all in uppercase. There's no need to shout :)"

This would all be based on our criteria of a good thread title (length, proper spelling, not all in uppercase, no 'stop' words [Help me, urgent]).

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
For the record, none of the staff considered RK a troll, that was a membership consensus, and was out of line. Period.
I will agree that RK wasn't a troll. Until just recently. Go back and read some of his earlier stuff, back when AG was still here. While there may have been a language barrier, hell I have a language barrier and have been using English since birth. There was/is an abrupt change in his posting style and content since his ban at ETO. That's why I call troll.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
What someone does at another forum is of no concern to me. A moderator from elsewhere is not a moderator here.

What someone does here is of major concern. RK is being discussed at the moment for continued violations, I do not know what his story is. We will handle it.

When he kept it within the rules he was OK. He was not directly abusive nor violated the rules, in which case he was safe here. When he starts violating actual rules then we deal with him. The staff arbitrate the rules though. The members report when they think someone is out of line, which we deeply appreciate, but it is our call.

It is possible for some users to contribute a lot to the forum but still be abusive to other members. I do not class RK in this, but we still have to handle it,

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
What someone does at another forum is of no concern to me. A moderator from elsewhere is not a moderator here.

What someone does here is of major concern. RK is being discussed at the moment for continued violations, I do not know what his story is. We will handle it.

When he kept it within the rules he was OK. He was not directly abusive nor violated the rules, in which case he was safe here. When he starts violating actual rules then we deal with him. The staff arbitrate the rules though. The members report when they think someone is out of line, which we deeply appreciate, but it is our call.

It is possible for some users to contribute a lot to the forum but still be abusive to other members. I do not class RK in this, but we still have to handle it,
If @JoeJester 's posts could be transferred to a new thread, this one could probably be closed as it's drifting like a lifeboat. :D

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
No need for another thread. Jrap has a good action plan and it will be interesting to see it in action. Close this bread at will.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Off-Topic operates under slightly different rules. Always has, now if this had been in the Feedback and Suggestions forum...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
How can a thread be dragged off topic in the off topic forum. If you look at them historically the only thing that has been moderated is ToS violations.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Nor do I care what happens elsewhere. But do care what happens here. When RK started the same thing here as there, the warning flags go up. His new "attitude" is a big change to previous posting style. Maybe it's not even him, but someone that bought his old computer that he didn't wipe the hard drive before selling?