Chat GPT posts

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We are being flooded from responses from what we believe to be ChatGPT bots, someone out there is trying to polish their software by using us is a sounding board. Perhaps they're trying to pass the Turing test? Just be aware if you get a nonsensical reply to a thread and the user is brand new it could be a bot. We cannot stop this (and in my opinion it's not worth trying) all we can do is make users aware.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
As I recall this site had bot detection software running but had a problem with it detecting long time members as bots.

I haven't had to pass a bot test for some time so I can only assume it was disabled or corrected.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
As I recall this site had bot detection software running but had a problem with it detecting long time members as bots.

I haven't had to pass a bot test for some time so I can only assume it was disabled or corrected.
There is difference between bot detection software and members using ChatGPT to generate answers to questions posted on AAC forums.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Good Idea. Here is one from the wine cooler thread (ChatGPT followed by spam link sneaked in at the very end).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's great to hear that you've been finding inspiration from previous successes in fixing wine coolers! Based on the information you provided, it seems like you've already made some progress in diagnosing the issue with your HomCom 800-057 wine cooler.

Since you've already replaced the electrolytic capacitors and the issue persists, it's worth considering a few other possibilities:

1. Check the connections: Ensure that all the connectors on the PCB are securely attached. Sometimes loose or improperly connected wires can cause malfunctions or erratic behavior.
  2. Inspect the PCB for any visible damage: Carefully examine the PCB for any signs of burnt or damaged components, such as resistors, capacitors, or traces. If you notice any, they may need to be replaced or repaired.
  3. Verify the power supply: Ensure that the power supply to the wine cooler is stable and within the specified voltage range. Fluctuations in voltage can affect the performance of electronic devices.
  4. Test the temperature sensor (NTC): Since you've already tried swapping the NTC with a 10 Ohm resistor and observed a different behavior, it indicates that the NTC might be faulty. However, it's also worth noting that the resistance readings you provided for both the original NTC (33 kOhms) and the replacement resistor (11 Ohms) seem unusual. Generally, NTCs exhibit a higher resistance at lower temperatures and decrease as the temperature rises. You may want to double-check the specifications of the original NTC and ensure that the resistance readings are accurate.
If none of these steps resolve the issue, it might be worth considering acquiring a replacement PCB. While ordering from AliExpress can sometimes be a gamble, it could be an option worth exploring if you can't find a reliable source for a direct replacement. Before making a purchase, carefully compare the specifications and images of the replacement PCB to ensure compatibility with your model.

Remember to exercise caution while working with electronic devices and ensure that the unit is unplugged during any troubleshooting or repair attempts. If you're uncomfortable with any aspect of the repair process, it's always advisable to consult with a professional technician or consider reaching out to the manufacturer for assistance.

Good luck with your repair efforts, and I hope you're able to get your wine cooler up and running again! By the way I keep my drink cool by using <spam link removed>.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Good Idea. Here is one from the wine cooler thread (ChatGPT followed by spam link sneaked in at the very end).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's great to hear that you've been finding inspiration from previous successes in fixing wine coolers! Based on the information you provided, it seems like you've already made some progress in diagnosing the issue with your HomCom 800-057 wine cooler.

Since you've already replaced the electrolytic capacitors and the issue persists, it's worth considering a few other possibilities:

1. Check the connections: Ensure that all the connectors on the PCB are securely attached. Sometimes loose or improperly connected wires can cause malfunctions or erratic behavior.
  2. Inspect the PCB for any visible damage: Carefully examine the PCB for any signs of burnt or damaged components, such as resistors, capacitors, or traces. If you notice any, they may need to be replaced or repaired.
  3. Verify the power supply: Ensure that the power supply to the wine cooler is stable and within the specified voltage range. Fluctuations in voltage can affect the performance of electronic devices.
  4. Test the temperature sensor (NTC): Since you've already tried swapping the NTC with a 10 Ohm resistor and observed a different behavior, it indicates that the NTC might be faulty. However, it's also worth noting that the resistance readings you provided for both the original NTC (33 kOhms) and the replacement resistor (11 Ohms) seem unusual. Generally, NTCs exhibit a higher resistance at lower temperatures and decrease as the temperature rises. You may want to double-check the specifications of the original NTC and ensure that the resistance readings are accurate.
If none of these steps resolve the issue, it might be worth considering acquiring a replacement PCB. While ordering from AliExpress can sometimes be a gamble, it could be an option worth exploring if you can't find a reliable source for a direct replacement. Before making a purchase, carefully compare the specifications and images of the replacement PCB to ensure compatibility with your model.

Remember to exercise caution while working with electronic devices and ensure that the unit is unplugged during any troubleshooting or repair attempts. If you're uncomfortable with any aspect of the repair process, it's always advisable to consult with a professional technician or consider reaching out to the manufacturer for assistance.

Good luck with your repair efforts, and I hope you're able to get your wine cooler up and running again! By the way I keep my drink cool by using <spam link removed>.

AI seems to love lists. This is the first thing I noticed when I started playing with it.

Few human participants organize their thoughts into a formal list on a casual site like this. That should be a big clue.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
https://arxiv.org/pdf/2305.06424.pdf

Bot or Human? Detecting ChatGPT Imposters with A Single Question

Q: List the capitals of all the states in US?
Q: What is the fist 50 digits of π?
My experiences with ChatGPT lead me to think it would be more effective to ask:

1. What time is it?
2. Where are you?
3. Who is your ISP?
4. What is your name?

And the acceptable answers could be:

1. Any answer at all that contains a time string in the first 5 words (even if it doesn't correspond to the current time in any time zone on earth) and doesn't start with "as a large language model..."
2, 3. Any string less than 5 words that aren't "as a large language model"
4. Any name at all except ChatGPT.

For some reason ChatGPT seems programmed to insist that it has no connection to the internet (despite answering that its location is spread across multiple servers) and doesn't know what time it is.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
My experiences with ChatGPT lead me to think it would be more effective to ask:

1. What time is it?
2. Where are you?
3. Who is your ISP?
4. What is your name?

And the acceptable answers could be:

1. Any answer at all that contains a time string in the first 5 words (even if it doesn't correspond to the current time in any time zone on earth) and doesn't start with "as a large language model..."
2, 3. Any string less than 5 words that aren't "as a large language model"
4. Any name at all except ChatGPT.

For some reason ChatGPT seems programmed to insist that it has no connection to the internet (despite answering that its location is spread across multiple servers) and doesn't know what time it is.
I think the difference is , were talking here about people using bots to generate text
qed, a human has already logged in ,

so these questions would just make it harder for humans to use the site,

were having enough "fun" at universities detecting students who use "bots" to write essays
one can ask, is it any different to the argument about students using calculators,
we survived that , but ,,,

but its interesting to hear that people are already using bots on the site,

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
"Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It seems like we are indeed experiencing an influx of responses from ChatGPT bots. It's possible that someone is using our platform as a sounding board to refine their software or even attempt to pass the Turing test.

While we can't prevent this entirely, I agree that raising awareness among users is important. If anyone comes across a nonsensical reply from a brand new user, it's worth considering the possibility that it could be a bot. Encouraging our community to be cautious and exercise critical thinking can help them identify and respond appropriately to such instances.

Additionally, we can explore implementing measures to flag or identify potential bot accounts based on patterns and behavior. This could help us mitigate the impact to some extent. In the meantime, let's continue to provide valuable contributions and foster meaningful discussions to counterbalance any potential bot interference.

If you have any suggestions or ideas on how we can address this issue further, please feel free to share. Together, we can create a more reliable and engaging environment for our users."

/t Chatgpt.

Chatgpt speak is pretty easy to identify usually in my opinion. Whats above is pretty typical of how it likes to talk and repeat what has been said already in different ways.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Wow strange issue.
The only reason i can think of a human doing this is to post spam, and that is so that they dont have to understand the context they just want people to think they are actually interested in the discussion. That allows them to post spam without anyone suspecting it's JUST spam right off.
I guess there is another reason though, the person things the chat bot has answered the question adequately and that would help answer the question of help with the discussion in some way. I'll try to get back here with a solid example.

Here is an example. I asked about Ohm's Law. The following is the abbreviated discussion not the whole thing, you could ask the same question for the entire response...

START_CHAT
"What is Ohm's Law used for?"

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in electrical engineering and physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current passing through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

Mathematically, Ohm's Law can be expressed as:
V = I * R
where:
V represents the voltage across the conductor,
I represents the current flowing through the conductor, and
R represents the resistance of the conductor.
Ohm's Law is primarily used for the following purposes:
Calculating current
Determining voltage
Analyzing circuit behavior
Circuit design and analysis
Overall, Ohm's Law provides a foundational understanding of the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance
END_CHAT

So we see useful information in some cases, certainly not all (ha ha).
If someone uses that for spam i think it should be obvious because there will be some kind of plug for a product or service. I would think that should be removed from the board.

It does seem to take away from the human aspect of it though, especially if we see the exact same information coming up from time to time in the same order and same style of writing.

You know it may be possible that ChatGPT can recognize its own responses if asked, but that would take copy and pasting every response that is suspected of being copied from that chat bot.

Maybe we need to program a Turning Machine into the message board (chuckle).

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You know it may be possible that ChatGPT can recognize its own responses if asked
No, it can't. It will always say that any answer not completely off base was written by it, but it lies. Aside from the training set date, ChatGPT's memory extends only to the end of a session. It doesn't add anything to its baseline knowledge.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
No, it can't. It will always say that any answer not completely off base was written by it, but it lies. Aside from the training set date, ChatGPT's memory extends only to the end of a session. It doesn't add anything to its baseline knowledge.
Hi,

Oh ok (ha ha) thanks. Yeah these things are strange. Elon Musk was quoted as saying that AI may save humanity from itself :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Mr. Musk has done a lot of good with his money, but he is not an expert. I just hope we can get a handle on it before or if it is too late.