Old P.U Truck

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Been running great not much rain for 8 months,
today It stalled In roadway after heavy moisture
for three days.It must be moisture in distribitor or on plug wires.
You think the moisture would fry contact points.
Any comments, I have it out of the road. Run great for
6 blocks and stalled,turns over good.

DonQ

Joined May 6, 2009
Water in your distributor does not have to fry your contact points to make your truck stall. Just the moisture can conduct the spark to ground inside the distributor. Also, wet spark-plugs, or even the spark-plug wires getting wet, especially if they are old, can make it stall. Dry it all off. Inside the distributor, the rotor, the wires, the tops of the spark-plugs and inside the caps that fit over the top of the plugs. Then try it again.

And slow down through the puddles until you upgrade your ignition system.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
No puddle's just sitting in heavy rain without driving,anyway good advise
will dry everything out. Have honda rebel,need new m/c battery first.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Wouldn't hurt to check for a cracked cap. If it happens again, I'd replace cap ,rotor and wires. I had a cracked cap on mine, first moisture, it would skip and stutter.

markert

Joined May 24, 2009
A relative effective way to find ignition wire problems or external distributor tracking, incliuding those dure to moisture, is to look under the hood at night in the dark with no lights on. If the vehicle won't run, have a helper crank it while you look. Sparking or tracking is usually visible.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Will let you know mechanic, coming over tomorrow.Tried a bunch
of stuff new cap,brain.Starting fluid,???????????Thanks for concern.

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
To run, a gasoline engine needs three things: gasoline, air, spark. If you're not getting any one or more of those, it won't run. You can pull out a spark plug and attach the plug wire, ground the plug to the engine, and crank the engine (or have a helper do that). If you're getting a spark, you can probably go on to check something else.

If after you crank the engine a bit, you should smell gas. If not, that's probably a sign something is amiss in the fuel system.

It's hard not to get air, but that can happen if your air filter is completely plugged up or you have a big leak in the intake manifold.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The old p.u. is on the road again,with new brain and regulator,
new cap. Run two days ,overheated from broken hose. Back on
the road again. Staying off Interstate until all bugs are out
from sitting.Thanks for advise mark 44,saving for m/c battery.

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
New brain? Are you talking about a computer? If the engine is fuel-injected, I suppose the truck would have a computer to control the fuel system.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Mark,you are right fuel Injected,things are so close to us yet we don't
know without checking.You get so use to getting in turning key until
you need help.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My trucks been borderline for years, and then the computer finally finished going out. Now it runs like a top. Now if I can only get the AC fixed, it's 100°F+ out there nowdays.