Old CRT TV - Can't regulate volume, brightness etc.

Flybacks

Joined Nov 24, 2021
Hello all!

I have an old Crt TV but mistakenly I touched some pins of the micro controller that handles the remote and the keyboard buttons.
The TV shut down then I switched on again but now the remote controller has no effect and the only buttons that work are for changing channel but cannot set volume ,brightness etc anymore.
Before I touched the pins all worked perfectly.

May the micro controller got somehow corrupted ?
And if so changing it with same model may solve the problem or these things are programmed by the tv manufacturer so the new controller would do nothing at all ?

Big thanks!!

peterdeco

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Welcome to the forum. Yes, microcontrollers require programming to function. If replaced with a new one it will be non-functional. IF it is indeed a bad micro, your only hope is to get one that was programmed by the factory. It's also possible some of the surrounding circuitry is damaged and not the micro at all.

Flybacks

Joined Nov 24, 2021
Do you believe it is likely the microcontroller got damaged ?
Why I can change channel but not volume or brightness for example ?

peterdeco

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Microcontrollers have multiple inputs. If the microcontroller inputs that control volume and brightness are damaged and the input that controls channels is not, the channels would not be affected. This happened to me a while ago. I blew 1 of 4 ADC inputs. One was dead, the other 3 worked. Keep in mind this is purely speculation. Like I mentioned earlier, there could be something else that is causing the problem. Ideally a service manual , schematic and some circuit tracing should be done.